Highland Cow

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
ElaineH

Highland Cow

Post by ElaineH »

20A3E050-B300-4B78-B35D-FB453649CAA5.jpeg
I have wanted to attempt a drawing of a Highland Cow for some time and have found a royalty free reference image on Unsplash which I am going to try! I plan on following the image for the cow and the foreground tree, but have not yet decided what is going to be in the background. I think it will be a misty background, although it is not really so in the reference photograph. Also I have never actually got to grips with grass, so have a bit of work to do with that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Highland Cow

Post by Mike Sibley »

ElaineH wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:20 am ...have not yet decided what is going to be in the background. I think it will be a misty background, although it is not really so in the reference photograph.
Oh, dear! That's like a red rag to a bull in my case :) Why, may I ask, does it have to look like the reference?

It's just a reference. Take what you can use; alter anything that doesn't fit your vision; and discard everything that is of no use to you. In any case, only you will have seen the reference, so we (your public viewing fans) have no idea whether you followed it or not.

It looks as though you've got a good reference, but if you'd mentioned your desire to draw a Highland cow while you were here at the workshop... I could have taken you to the top of the lane to meet the Corner brothers, who keep them as a hobby alongside their regular cattle :roll: ;)
Also I have never actually got to grips with grass, so have a bit of work to do with that.
You're definitely doing all the right things with that. If it helps, I've got a tutorial that features DRAWING GRASS.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Thank you, I will work through the grass tutorials. And no, there is not a good reason for slavishly following the reference images is there? Drawing landscapes and backgrounds is new to me, and I have to stop approaching it in the same way as a detailed animal portrait.. We need another weekend workshop so I can meet your neighbours and take my own photos. (You are not too busy are you!!!!!!.)

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

To busy!!??? Of course not! :) I have the first Drawing Animals workshop in April (18/19). It's almost full, there's no increase in the cost, and we still feed you :D

I think the three brothers are now only two, so it's possible the Highland cattle have gone. I'll check on Rooper Hill farm next time I'm down that way (it's the mega-muddy end of the lane).
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Lovely bark texture Elaine, and I think your grass is looking excellent. Drawing grass is something I avoid because it always ends up looking like a clump of fur on the ground! :lol:

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Mike...unfortunately I have a family wedding to go to the weekend of the course , but maybe will get to one later in the year.
Laurene, thank you for your comments....funny you should mention avoiding grass - My cow may yet end up standing in snow🤔