"Snow Leopard" by Linda Weil

Learn from your fellow members - or submit your own and pass on your knowledge!
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

The Snow Leopard
Linda Weil 2020 -- Colour Pencil demonstration, Camp Creative NSW

Materials:
  • 180gsm Strathmore Tan Toned paper, A3 size
  • Prismacolor Premier pencils
  • Snow Leopard (personal photos shot at Melbourne Zoo)
Download the original of this article: The-Snow-Leopard-by-Linda-Weil.pdf

One of the exercises and demonstrations I did with, and for, my recent class at Camp Creative in Bellingen NSW was a Snow Leopard in the soft Prismacolor Premier pencils.

I don't use Prismacolor pencils often as I generally find them too soft, but I do like their ability to blend and layer over coloured papers. As I didn't want the class to have to spend too much on different types of paper for this class, I brought along a pad of the Strathmore Tan paper A3. This is a lighter weight paper than I usually work with, but is robust enough to take several layers of pencils. As it is a thinner paper it is possible (just) to use the trace method of transferring a line drawing via a light box or window.

Why draw on toned paper? Well, working on toned paper can lead to a very realistic result. Remember, just as there is no true black in life, neither is there white. There is the sun, and everything else is darker than that. So if your paper is darker than white it gives you an edge in your tonal range. It is easier to push a dark on tone paper, and you can always add a white highlight if you wish. Mistakes made on the original drawing are easier to hide. Because you start with a tone, your drawing time is faster as you don't need to draw that in, it is there for you. You draw the tonal range either side of the paper colour.

One drawback to toned paper is that it can affect the colour hue of your pencil when laid down. So you MUST do a test sheet of your pencils on your chosen paper. So this is how I began...

TEST SHEET:
I trialled both the Prismacolor Premier pencils and the Staedtler Mars Karat pencils on the toned paper. I immediately found that the Prismacolor's laid down a more intense hue than the Karats. The Karat are a watercolour pencil, but I did not want to create wash effects in this drawing so chose the Prismacolor as my choice. To confirm my choice and familiarise myself with how the pencils would react to the paper I did a small test drawing of the leopard's eye.

To achieve a really bright highlight in the eye I tried using a white Uniball gel pen and was quite pleased with the result. I am thinking this pen will work well for the white whiskers as well!
SL1.jpg
TRACE IN INK
Usually I do a sketch drawing of the subject and draw freehand. This is time-consuming to get correct, so in the interests of speed I chose to trace from my original photo. This is not ‘cheating’ and we can have philosophical discussion about this if you wish - I can certainly draw freehand– but I did want to place all those spots in relatively the correct place and this was the easiest and quickest way to do that.

My trace drawing only needed to be outlines showing the major features of the subject. In this trace I have included all the spots. Because the Strathmore paper is fairly opaque, the outline drawing is done in ink on tracing paper.

APPLY TO PAPER
If you have a light box that is great, I do and used it for this trace. But a bright sunlight window will work for you if you don’t. Placing the traced drawing onto the light box and then the toned paper over it, I lightly traced the outline using an F pencil. (note: pencil lines darker here than actual result).
SL2a.jpg
Placement and composition was a consideration. So the image was placed to the right side of the paper to give me a good balance of positive and negative spaces.
SL2b.jpg
SL2c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

BEGIN TO DRAW/PAINT WITH PENCIL!
You may have noticed on my test sheet of colours I circled certain hues. These are the main pencils I will be working with. Each of the following image usually has a pencil visible and that is the colour that has been used for that particular part of the drawing.

EYES

To begin, I draw the eyes. Always! I find that if I get the eyes right at the start it creates a connection with the subject. Also, if I get them wrong, I can start over again without too much angst. Imagine doing an entire drawing of fur and leaving the eyes to last and then stuffing them up! The pain!

When I draw an eye I look for the underlying colours that make up the iris. Even if the eye ‘appears’ green, the LAST colour I choose is green. I actually only have two greens in my palette of Prismacolor's — 913 Spring Green and 988 Marine Green. I always make my greens by layers of yellows and blues.

So to begin with this eye, I started by laying down a layer of light yellow in radiating strokes out from the pupil. Over that I added darker strokes of yellow ochre followed by cerulean blue. Finally, a bit of the Spring Green to the iris was added as well as a shading of 30% French Grey under the eyelid.

Indigo blue was used in the pupil, as well as touches in the iris. Additionally, the indigo was used to delineate the outer eye structure. Black is only used as touches in the final steps to create intensity.

FUR
The fur is built up from light to dark. The first hue used is white, followed by light grey green, light yellow, indigo, etc. You can see the pencils used in the photo here. Remember, black is used last and sparingly.
SL3.jpg
I am right-handed, so I work from the top left of the image to the bottom right. I will also turn the paper as needed to help with stroke direction.

Working with fur is delightful fun. The trick is to remember that when you draw a line, you are not exactly drawing a hair, but rather a highlight or a shadow cast by a hair.

With colour pencils, working light to dark as I am, the first fur layer is white. Each white stroke is laid down in the direction that the fur flows and follows.

After white, I lay down strokes progressively darker in hue. The following images will show you the process and the pencils I used to achieve the fur result.

Remember, the paper tone is a colour, so I do not have to draw over every centimetre. Instead, the tan tone fills in the areas between the pencil strokes.

A note on the nose:
Only a touch of the 1019 Rosie Beige was used here. Cerulean blue, Warm grey 30%, and Indigo blue was layered over the toned paper to create this effect. The colour of the paper shows through and affects the result of the hues laid down.

Because I never use one colour in isolation I added touches of the Rosie Beige around the eye and in the mouth as well (hard to see it here, but it is there).

They say a picture says a thousand words, so the following pages show the progression of the layers of pencil across the page with the pencil used.
SL4.jpg
The white goes down in the fur direction. Areas of paper tone are left where the spots will go.
SL5.jpg
SL6.jpg
Blue and grey where the spots will appear.
SL7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

SL8.jpg
This is the Indigo Blue — don’t confuse it with the black! It is added to deepen the dark spots.
SL9.jpg
This is the black - I only use black to intensify the darks selectively, relying on layers of blues and greys before adding a touch of black
SL10.jpg
And this was as far as I got to at Camp Creative. All the following drawings were done at the home studio so the lighting is bit different.
SL11.jpg
Lots of white. Note how I leave ‘holes’ for the black dots.
SL12.jpg

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

SL13.jpg
SL14.jpg
Working over the entire head, adding Indigo and Black to the spots, more white and light grey to the fur. Sorry the photo colour is so poor, not sure what happened.
SL15.jpg
At this stage the head is nearly finished...
SL16.jpg
Now I add more dark greys to the spots and darker areas (left) and begin to block in the white of the leg. Again note how the strokes follow the direction of the fur. This is critical in the leg as the fur swirls around and changes directions.
SL17.jpg

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

SL18.jpg
I had been fairly happy with the progress of this drawing up until this point. Adding the leg seemed to throw out the form of the head and lose shape and solidity. It is all looking a bit too flat.

So I had a cup of tea and thought.

Then decided I needed to add more contrast and warmth. Not sure if it would work or not I added….
SL19.jpg
… Light Ochre!

Yes! I like that! Suddenly the head has a more 3d form and the shape of the paw becomes more realistic.
SL20.jpg
On the home stretch now, adding more white, grey, dark grey and black.

I am really glad I added that ochre!
SL21.jpg
Scrumbled pencil in grey and ochre in the rock he is resting on.

And some of that gel pen in the eyes to create highlights and a few whited whiskers.
SL22.jpg

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Some detail shots.
SL23.jpg
The final.
Shot taken outdoors in even light so the colour is a bit better than the other shots.
SL24.jpg
Conclusion – would I draw on toned paper again? You bet! But possibly not this lightweight one. I found that the Strathmore was very smooth and I prefer just a little more grip to the surface. It might be fun to try this on a sanded or suede paper. Although the Strathmore it is a lightweight the paper is robust enough to stand several layers, but I would prefer the more ridged 300gsm.

Linda Weil
Linda Weil Fine Art
Linda Weil Fine Art Blog

Download the original of this article: The-Snow-Leopard-by-Linda-Weil.pdf

Laurene

Re: "Snow Leopard" by Linda Weil

Post by Laurene »

Thank you Linda!! There is so much work involved in doing something like this and it's very generous of you to share with us.

The final drawing is beautiful. I was surprised to see what could be achieved with so few colours. One of the reasons I've shied away from coloured pencil work is the number of pencils people seem to use.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thanks Laurene, I appreciate you looking in on this and commenting.
One of the reasons I've shied away from coloured pencil work is the number of pencils people seem to use.
Well, I am pretty much a minimulist with my colours - it began as a necessity when I was an art student. Limited funds meant I had to watch what I bought and I soon learned how to make my materials stretch and last. I started with a set of 24 Staedler Karats which was all I could afford.

One of the first things with colour was realising that you don't need to buy every rainbow colour in manufacturer's catalogue. They want you to believe that you have to purchase all their colours, when you really can achieve a great result buy learning how the colours layer (or mix if using paint). Also, understanding how colours and hues work in conjuntion to each other, over and under. Seurat and Signac of the Pointillism school expermented with this - how to create a work where the veiwers eye mixes the spots of pure colour to create the hue. How each colour affects the one next to it. (I have a pdf worksheet of this if you wish...)

Also, I find that students are often wary of being 'brave' with colour, and they look at me in astonishment when I suggest they use yellow and blue instead of green and then whack in a bit of blue or violet or red in the green of the leaves. Colour can be a lot of fun! Just jump in with both feet...

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

...how to create a work where the veiwers eye mixes the spots of pure colour to create the hue. How each colour affects the one next to it. (I have a pdf worksheet of this if you wish...)
As someone who grew up when the technology behind television used dots to create an image on the screen, I can relate to this. (I think I originally learned that this is how TV worked from Professor Von drake on Disney's Wonderful World of Colour and I was completely fascinated with this! I thought it was magic! :lol: ) And yes, I would love to read your pdf. Thanks!

I've read your tutorial twice now and will definitely try it. What I immediately liked about it is that the colours you use are the colors we commonly see in our North American animals, so I have a lot of potential subjects. I'm also thinking of doing some studies of tree fungi since Mike suggested it in another thread, and I can use these colours for this too.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Hi Lauren,
Having seen your beautiful Pastel/grahite work on your website I think you already understand the benefits of a limited palette! As the pdf uses some images that are not mine I cannot post it here due to copyright. But am happy to send you a copy if you pm me your contact.