Highland Cow

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Graphite Pencil masterworks here!

Moderator: ElaineH

ElaineH

Highland Cow

Post by ElaineH »

5B45F911-03B2-4A30-8102-462EBDFFFD0C.jpeg
. This drawing reminds me of a trip to Loch Awe in Scotland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: Highland Cow

Post by LindasPencils »

loving all that clumpy hair Elaine!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I, too, love the clumpy hair... except...

The hair on the rump is as sharply drawn as the hair on its front, yet one is maybe 6 or 7 feet (2.1 m) behind the other. So, I'm suggesting you might try some light blending to soften the more distant edges. And the same applies to the grass, which I like a lot, but the left-hand side doesn't match the right.

The grass recedes rather well on the right, but the left is very sharp, so it appears to be almost vertical. The top of that left-hand area is probably 20 to 30 feet (6-9 m) away so, soften the top half to match the right-hand side and it should recede well.

Obviously, I'm nit-picking, because it's a lovely drawing and you don't necessarily need to look into those points. But they are things you should consider in your next drawing.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Thank you, Mike. I am going to make the adjustments you suggest. To be perfectly honest I was getting very fed up with the drawing, possibly rushed a bit too much.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

What I thought might have happened with the grass is that, on the right you had the trees to head to - so that gave you a distance to cover that obviously needed recession. Then on the left you had nothing obvious to aim for :)

And I know I'm stating the obvious but, rushing is never a good idea. Especially because it can spoil all the work you've put in to a drawing up to that point.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike has already mentioned what I noticed at first look...
Not, not first - at a first look I've noticed lovely drawn portrait of hairy cow!
Those trees around, good composition and certainly the beautifully drawn animal...
I must confess I am not a big fan of cows , sheep, pigs or chickens in artworks, but some are very special indeed, so it's yours!
While enjoying looking around your beautifully detailed drawing I spot some imperfections that has been already mentioned by Mike...
I'm struggling myself to understand why we still do some imperfections in our arts, even if we are capable of producing such stunning drawings?
We do understand the rules to follow, we have a necessary skills and knowledge , but sometime we might get just too busy with our drawing?
And it's then, when we slightly off at some places ...
Beautiful and adorable drawing - congratulation!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*