kookaburra WIP for critique

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Picasso2

kookaburra WIP for critique

Post by Picasso2 »

Hi Mike
This kookaburra came for a dip in our pool and stayed long enough for a photo while he was drying himself off. I am struggling with his feathers, especially the white ones on his chest.Would appreciate some advice on how to handle this and also other general comments.
Regards
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: kookaburra WIP for critique

Post by Mike Sibley »

I love Kookaburras! I photographed two in a local bird garden many years ago and I've been wanting to draw them ever since. Hmmm... good excuse for a video! :)

To refresh my memory, I just found a photo online very similar to yours. There appear to be FOUR distinct areas of feather:

1 - The head above eye-level has white feathers edged in brown

2 - The eye stripe is very distinctive and a deep chocolate brown

3 - The wings have brown feathers that fit so tightly to each other that the edges are almost invisible.

4 - The chest feathers are similar to the brown-edged head feathers but appear to be paler.

Now, looking at your drawing I find that the eye-stripe is pale. Even if your Kookaburra had a pale stripe I'd still want to darken it. It will introduce more contrast, and that will brighten the highlights.

The rest of the head looks OK.

Moving down to the neck and chest. Personally, I'd emphasise the paleness of the brown edging. And, far more importantly, I'd look at my reference to work out where the key highlight is on that rounded chest. I have no doubt there will be one. It's a rounded part-spherical shape, so at some point part of it will be pointing directly at your light source, and that will create a highlighted area. And if it isn't - maybe it was an overcast day? - then invent one.

You need that, because right now your Kookaburra, below the head, is flat. The feathers at the left are exactly the same tone as those extending right across to the right. But it's a curved surface, so one side would naturally be receiving more light than the other.

If you can post your reference I might be able to help a bit more.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Don't be afraid of the Dark, Jean! 😄 Please post the refrence as Mike suggests, but his tips and hints are the way to go.
Just one question - will this be a 'spot' image, or are you planning a background? Remember, a background will affect the tonal range- a background can assist in bringing the whiter chest feathers forward, but isn't nessecary.

This is a good start!

...and Mike, Kookaburras are wonderful birds - until they sit on the fence outside your bedroom window and wake you up with their insane laughter at 4.30 am. (as experienced just this last week. 🥱)

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

IMG_9158C Kookaburra.jpg
Hi Mike and Linda,
Thanks for the comments, and Mike, I would love to see a video on drawing kookaburras! I've attached the photo from which I am working. He looks a bit bedraggled as he isn't completely dry after his dip (doesn't help with understanding his feathers!). It's a bit hard to tell from where the light is coming, but I think it was behind him. I was intending to do him just as a portrait, Linda, as it was a really close up photo, so wasn't thinking about putting any background in. Given that, how can I emphasize his white feathers more, or do I really need some background ? Also, you know my problems with darks! I actually have used some 2B and even 4B in places around his eye - what else can I do? By the way, you should be glad to hear the kookas (even at 4.00am) given that we have lost so many birds and animals in the fires!
Looking forward to further comments.
Regards
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

First, I really like those wet feathers. They are a part of the realism - the feeling of a natural occurrence. And they introduce interest and contrast into an otherwise potentially boring area.

That said...
It's a bit hard to tell from where the light is coming, but I think it was behind him.
Certainly, the light is catching the top of his head and the back of his neck. But it's the chest I'm interested in.

As I mentioned earlier, you've drawn him with no value change from one side to the other, so it appears to be flat. Don't be too concerned about that - I know you're so engrossed in the detail that you've not noticed the changes in the lighting ;)
Kooaburra1.jpg
But that chest is three-dimensional. Look closely. The area I've ringed is not only wet - it's the brightest area of the chest. Look to its left and the whites darken. Look to its right and the whites progressively darken even more. Now look below that area and the whites become much darker.

This tells us three things: The circled area is directly facing the light, or can at least see the light source. The areas either side of it become darker, so they see less light. That's because they are curving away from the light. And the area below is curving away from the light even more - and it's probably being partially shaded by the bright area... because it's now obvious that the bright area is being pushed towards us, while the rest is receding.

It's basically part of a ball, with the key highlight being in the area of the wet feathers. If you omit all that information you flatten that area. That's because we instinctively understand highlights and shadows. We look at the chest and immediately understand that it's thrust forward. If the Kookaburra was a chicken I'd say its crop was full. We have one we call Dolly - after Dolly Parton - because... well, because she has a permanently big chest and full crop :)

Try half-closing your eyes and looking at the reference again. That will remove all the detail and allow you see the values correctly. It's those values that sculpt the three-dimensional form of the Kookaburra - and they're essential.
Mike Sibley

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks Mike
That's really helpful. I wasn't sure whether the wet feathers would look unrealistic, but will try to emphasize them more. Yes, I did get caught up with the complexity of the feathers and didn't pay enough attention to the shading. Will now focus on that more
Regards
Jean

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm not saying this correct - because I wasn't looking at your reference as I altered it - but your Kookaburra now has a bulging cheek you could squeeze, and he's puffing his chest out :)
JEAN-Kookaburra1.jpg
I've darkened the eye-stripe too. See how the highlight in his eye shines more brightly now? It really grabs your attention and draws you straight to the bird.

If you want to try to introduce a highlight to his chest, try dabbing it with a kneadable eraser. Personally, I'd use Blu-Tack, but then I always do :roll: Lighten the area that is the highlight. And don't worry if the detail becomes pale. These are white feathers, and white reflects light internally, so there won't be much visible detail at all.

If wish I had time to do more. Oh, well.... I guess I'll have to dig out those photos of mine and start filming ;)
Mike Sibley

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Wow, That's great Mike. I can really see the difference that those darks and highlights make. I had made a start on the corrections after your previous comments and can see that I have a lot more to work on, now! Will post the results soon and look forward to further comments. Intrigued as to how you found kookas in a local bird garden in the U.K.! Do hope you find time to do a video and if you can't find your photos, I have several of this guy if they are of any use to you.
Regards
Jean