Native American "Many Goats"

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Native American "Many Goats"

Post by rideum51 »

Blackfoot Tribe 'been there' done that 4 20200102_11292488.jpg
"Many goats" a silver smith from the Blackfoot Tribe around 1913 taken from photo by Roland W. Reed, 1864-1934 known as a pictorialist who set out to document the vanishing tribes of Native Americans. Mike and others would you please critique this effort. Thanks Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Native American "Many Goats"

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm in two minds about this.

On one level, I see areas that I think were copied and not understood. Lines and shapes within the face that don't possess highlights where highlights are expected. I understand it's from a 1913 photo and possibly not that clear in places. But logic or research - or even educated guessing :) - can usually fill the gaps. For example: where's the left-hand ear? Maybe he lost it? Maybe it's hidden by hair? At some point a solution should have been found, so the viewer is told the full story.

On another level, I love it just as it is. The eye, the mouth, the sculpted face - are all very emotive and full of wonderful character.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Re: Native American "Many Goats"

Post by Laurene »

I love it too Mike. Those eyes speak to me! I'm also fascinated with the animal skin robe that he's wearing Michael. Would you explain how you rendered this texture? Thanks!