Fawn in the night

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Fawn in the night

Post by Mike Sibley »

Happy New Year to you too, Sandra.

Well... it's a photo with all the usual problems, so it's difficult to know what it really looks like. I had a guess and, I hope, returned it to something like its real self. In any case, this is what I'm looking at as I comment.

If you have access to a scanner, that's always better than trying to photograph your work. It doesn't see white as being an 18% grey, as cameras do. And it won't burn out the middle with a flash.

If you have access to a scanner, see THIS PAGE for assistance.
Sandra-fawn.jpg
First, it's an adorable image! Second, I really like the stylised foliage that wraps around the fawn. And the hair looks short and soft to the touch. There's not much I can suggest, except for manipulating the shadows a bit. Darken the area between the head and leg and that will help to emphasise the head by defining its bottom edge. And then define the top edge by darkening the back of the neck. You could add a little more three-dimensional modelling around the rump but, overall, I think it's quite a successful drawing as it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

What a lovely drawing, Sandra! I don't have anything further to add to Mike, except to also compliment you on the design and composition that results from the foliage. I also love the way the grasses make a nest for the fawn, embracing and protecting it. This creates a story for the work that makes the viewer engage emotionally with that sweet, fluffy little fawn.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

sandrao wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:21 pm My portraits are always larger than scan area, (computers are not my cup of tea) maybe I will in future take to business center to scan to my computer.
...or you could head over to my tutorial on the subject and try it yourself in Photoshop.

Joining multiple scans of over-sized artwork

It really needs to be updated, but everything mentioned does work.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

This is an adorable subject Sandra, and an adorable pose. I love the way he's resting his head on his little foot!