Teller of Tales

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Teller of Tales

Post by rideum51 »

Another Native American scene, teller of Tales. T
Terller of Tales20191209_20020315-001.jpg
he image was taken from a painting by Martin Grelle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Teller of Tales

Post by Mike Sibley »

Welcome to DWM, Michael! You've done a lovely job with this. Especially the prominence of the horses and riders you've achieved against the relatively busy background.

That's helped by the softness of the immediate foreground too, which is something I need to remind myself about ;) I tend to automatically sharpen the foreground without really thinking about its impact on the whole. It's a good lesson for me :oops:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thank you, although you liked the muted foreground I really need to work on getting more detail in it for the future. Either I'm lazy or just not good at it. Practice, practice practice.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Great stuff rideum. What paper and pencils are you using? Did you use a tortillon/paper stump? would love to know your process.

You say you think you need to add more detail? Nah, this works fine! The focus of the work is the three horsemen interacting. And the detail in these men is just right. You have captured the expressions on the men with a subtle use of tone and shade. Each character has a unique reaction expressed simply through these tones and their posture.

Sometimes you can have TOO much detail. Remember you are trying to tell a story, you do not need to add a lot of extraneous detail in the foreground to get the message across. You have achieved the tale well.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I love the story you've told with this drawing. My eyes are fixed on the three riders, in part because of the strong darks that you've used, and that's exactly where you want the viewer to focus!