Squirrel drawing for critique

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Picasso2

Squirrel drawing for critique

Post by Picasso2 »

Hi Mike
If you have time could you please critique this drawing of a squirrel which I have done, using a photo that my husband took in Yellowstone as a reference. I haven’t had much experience with graphite pencils and would especially appreciate some comments with respect to my handling of the fur and what improvements I can make.
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Squirrel drawing for critique

Post by Mike Sibley »

First... welcome to DWM, Jean!

I love squirrels! My neighbour (farmer David) calls them "rats with tails", but we love to see them on our bird-feeders or up and down the trees.

And Jenny and I love Yellowstone (I've held two workshops there - so far). So, you've got a lot going for you ;)

There are just a couple of points I want to raise. Actually three, because I think a brighter highlight in the eye would draw us immediately to the focus of the drawing - the squirrel's busy head.
Jean-YellowstoneSquirrel.jpg
First, aim to improve the overall sharpness. Your lines are rather soft, so you're losing definition. And with that, you lose depth too. Visually, we understand two adjacent soft edges to belong to each other. We try to merge them. And we understand that sharp edges separate elements. They might be adjacent and touching but they are separate. So, to create depth you need sharp edges.

The other point is three-dimensional form. Apart from the rounding of the tree limb, this is missing much of the shading that creates solid form.

The tree's shading and the eye highlight tell me the light is shining from high up and just left of centre. With that in mind, it makes sense that squirrel's chest and neck will be in the shade of its head. Its stomach will be shaded by its arms (or front legs, if you're not animal-minded :) ). And I've added a little more along the muzzle to emphasise the stop (where the muzzle curves onto the forehead between the eyes). Adding those shadows now pushes the head up from the chest and adds emphasis to the gnawing mouth; it pushes the left-hand leg forwards; and adds roundness and solidity to the squirrel in general.

OK, I can't count... fourth:
You've left a lot of white where white doesn't belong. Tree bark doesn't contain white, and nor do squirrels. Try lightly shading over everything with a 2H. That will dull any white without affecting the contrast greatly. It's not a concept I can easily explain, but once the white is removed, everything is tied together into a single cohesive and solid whole. And, as a bonus, all intentional whites (such as the highlight in the eye) now shine more brilliantly.

Apart from that, this is a delightful, well-drawn, hairy squirrel enjoying its lunch :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Hi Jean,
I remember you showing me this lovely drawing earlier in the year, and I can see that you have worked on it further after our discussion. Squirrel is working well - but I think Mike's input will push the work a bit more, especially the increased shading. I see you have already increased the shading on the tree as we discussed - a little more like Mike suggests is needed I think. Try the 2H as he recommends - I know I told you a soft rounded F, but you may find the 2H better suited to your light hand.

I do think you have drawn the hair quite well on the squirrel- keep those pencils sharp! I cannot remember what type of paper you have used, was it a cold press? it looks like it has a bit of tooth from your photo, a smoother paper next time will help you with sharper lines. Anyway, keep up the good work and please show us more!

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks Linda. These comments from you and Mike are really helpful. So glad that you suggested the website! Yes, I did use Arches cold press paper, but now know to use smooth! Will try the suggestions and resubmit (though obviously a few things that I can't undo)
Cheers
Jean

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

It is good to see you here Jean! Please do show us what you do.

...and tell your other artist friends how great this forum is... the more artists we get posting the more imput we will all recieve. I have had great assitance over the years from Mike's groups. Its also a great way to stay in touch when travelling.