Nesting Frogmouth

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Graphite Pencil masterworks here!

Moderator: ElaineH

LindasPencils

Nesting Frogmouth

Post by LindasPencils »

I did this work starting as a demonstration piece on composition, using graphite pencils and incorporating backgrounds. The reference shots of the Frogmouth Owl (which is not an owl, but a nightjar) were taken at a local park this spring. Their nests really are just a heap of sticks thrust willy-nilly into the elbow of a branch. Drawn on Lana Hotpress 300gsm using Staedler mars pencils 2H, H, F, HB, 2B & 4B. 32 x 32 cm. I will enter it into the Mornington art show.
Weil_Nesting Frogmouth72ppi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Nesting Frogmouth

Post by Laurene »

Wonderful textures!! And I love the way the nest spills out of the frame. I always find square compositions quite challenging.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Everything Laurene said... plus....... I love the depth! I always enjoy a drawing when no matter how deeply I look there's always something there to see. The nest just goes on for ever. And the feathers swirl and move. And I'm certain that bird's looking at me very disapprovingly ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I always find square compositions quite challenging
I cannot lie - I was initially going to use an old frame for this if it turned out, which is why it is the shape it is. But those proturding bits didn't fit with the frame so have to pay up again.
The nest just goes on for ever.
:shock: Doesn't it just! I cannot tell you how many times I regretted starting this! The only real saving grace was that as it was a demo piece, I could work on it in one hour stints during classes otherwise I would have gone totally bonkers.

Tim8031

Post by Tim8031 »

I love everything about this piece. Outstanding. The protruding nest reàlly sets this off.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thanks Tim. It was a bit of a slog to complete - but go there in the end!

MBfineart

Post by MBfineart »

I really love the nest spilling out the edges, it gives it so much impact! Very realistic, it's stunning 👍

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Lovely drawing... 👍
To me the graphite drawing is-and always will be something very special.
I chosen this medium years ago, as a boy yet, this is the medium I started to study more professionally 5 years ago, and this is how I had a great opportunity and pleasure to meet face to face our dear Mike, while join his fur drawing course 👍
THANK YOU MIKE 🤘🤠
Firstly I saw your Steam Punk arts Linda, they're my favourite to follow!
I saw some colour drawing studies too, very inspiring indeed, and now the wildlife in graphite...
What else can I say, than you're very talented artist, with great knowledge, not only in artwork matter, but most importantly regarding the anatomy, and other crucial aspects related to your subjects.
You are teaching as well, this is even more important to share your knowledge to those students around you...
Thank you.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

😊 (blush)
I started exhibiting with wildlife works in graphite about 20 odd years ago. Then added colour in a limited palette. In the past 5 years I have developed my wildlife into a more mechanical take. All three streams merge and link. But I am always trying and exploring something new in composition and ideas. You don't get to see the unsuccesful ones. lol.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

No worries, I'm not after see those, lol 😁😁😁
I remember some artist advice - only post the best of the best artwork.
I do show all my work ..., because I keep practice and learn, so some are better looking some less atractive I'd say 😁
Great history of experience behind you indeed 👍
Thank you Linda.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*