Ozzy the Yorkipoo

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Scribbler

Ozzy the Yorkipoo

Post by Scribbler »

Finally, it is ready for a test view. Test view, because I think Mike might point out a few things. Whereas "few things" is relative. "Mike, I hope I do not put you under pressure." I have not yet used fixative. It was fun to work with Ozzy. The pencil was not always doing what I wanted. But I must be patient and keep on practicing.
Also thanks for offering me help Mike. I chose not to ask for any as I wanted to figure out the problems by asking myself " What would Mike have done here?" God knows how often I was close to breaking the silence and crying for help. Now I am happy to present the work and it will be good to read what I have overseen or messed up. Anyway, in case I do not hear from you before easter I wish you Mike, and all the forum members a happy and peaceful Easter holiday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Ozzy the Yorkipoo

Post by Mike Sibley »

Scribbler wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:37 pm I have not yet used fixative. It was fun to work with Ozzy. The pencil was not always doing what I wanted. But I must be patient and keep on practising.
Practice is all you need. Eventually your muscle memory will be complete, and you just draw intuitively with very little thought, or none, given to how to draw anything. There's some good positive and negative drawing in this, and I suspect that didn't require planning.
I chose not to ask for any [help] as I wanted to figure out the problems by asking myself, " What would Mike have done here?. God knows how often I was close to breaking the silence and crying for help.
So, Mike know all the answers, does he? :roll: :) But, seriously, that was a good choice. I hope I can speed up your development for you - there's no need for you to make the mistakes I did - but nothing beats personal experience.
Now I am happy to present the work, and it will be good to read what I have overseen or messed up.
I don't think you "messed up" anything. But I do think your concentration was predominantly on the hair.

The hair itself looks good. On the forehead, for example, you've used the darker midground to define the lighter foreground. And you added excellent three-dimensionality to the right-hand front lock. It not only grows up and out, it's immediately obvious we're looking "inside" the convex curve.

You've used negative drawing to define the ends of the cheek hairs, and the top lip hairs that overlap the mouth.

Then we get down to the neck and chest. And here's where I think what's missing is most evident. There is sufficient detail and features within the face to keep us interested, and looking locally - I love that textured nose! But the neck is seen as a whole. And it's flat.
BELA-Ozzy2.jpg
You've omitted the three-dimensional modelling throughout the drawing. For example, both sides of the face are identical in value. There's no indication of where the light is shining from. Or where major shadows would occur. One place would be under the chin, where I'd expect the muzzle to cast a shadow on the neck.

I've had a quick attempt at showing you what I'm trying to explain. And I'm not claiming it's accurate. :oops:

Nor am I suggesting you add three-dimensional shaping to this drawing. It's your drawing and your decision, but I think it's both full of character, and done.

And finally, HAPPY EASTER to you, Bela, and all our members.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

Hello Mike;
Thanks a lot for your thoughts. I do not want to disturb your easter holiday. I just added the reference photo, too. Then we could talk after easter.
Kind regards.

Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

Then we get down to the neck and chest. And here's where I think what's missing is most evident. There is sufficient detail and features within the face to keep us interested, and looking locally - I love that textured nose! But the neck is seen as a whole. And it's flat.
BELA-Ozzy2.jpg
You've omitted the three-dimensional modelling throughout the drawing. For example, both sides of the face are identical in value. There's no indication of where the light is shining from. Or where major shadows would occur. One place would be under the chin, where I'd expect the muzzle to cast a shadow on the neck.

I've had a quick attempt at showing you what I'm trying to explain. And I'm not claiming it's accurate. :oops:

Nor am I suggesting you add three-dimensional shaping to this drawing. It's your drawing and your decision, but I think it's both full of character, and done.

And finally, HAPPY EASTER to you, Bela, and all our members.
Yes, I agree with the shadow. The light came from the front with some shadow on the dog's right side I see now. So I have to add some shadow there. I also struggled with the neck. Still do. I will try to add some shadow as you see on the dog's right side.
Kind regards

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Enjoy your Easter! And we'll talk more about this then. But I will just mention that your reference is just as I thought it would be. In this case, adding shadows creates body and a greater sense of reality - especially when you have a reference where none exist.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net