What I am drawing on

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Reinhard

What I am drawing on

Post by Reinhard »

At the moment I am trying to be less photo rralistic but more drawing. Focus less on detail but more on impression. Paper is unfortunately sketchbbok, so value range is a tad limited.
Cheers, Reinhard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: What I am drawing on

Post by Mike Sibley »

You have those facial features so well sculpted that I really feel the paper itself is bending and curving that way.

Bearing your aim in mind, I think that's a direct result of focusing more on impression. I find the same when I'm drawing hair, or trees, or anything that isn't mimicking a reference. Because there isn't a reference, everything has to be from your imagination.

So those features you're drawing are the features your mind expects to see, and illuminated from the direction your mind understands the light to be coming from.

You don't need to know any of that when you're copying - and I class photo-realism as 'copying', if the aim is to recreate a photo.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

well,
this is BRIILLIANT Reinhard!
You have captured the soul of the sitter, it is realistic without being 'photo' realistic. Wonderful.
Personally I think this is a big leap forward for your art journey. You have drawn the person, not the photo.
Hope all is well with you and Regina,
regards,
Linda

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I think that's wonderful that you have brought out the essence of the person! It makes it so artistic, rather then just copying a photo. Nice work!