Sheltering Arms

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

Sheltering Arms

Post by kwheller »

"Sheltering Arms" is a true narrative portrait of a fellow artist who startled a hawk as she was leaving the art gallery, causing the hawk to drop its prey (wren) in front of her. She cared for the wren and then set it free. This has happened to her twice at this gallery and she has also saved many other birds in different locations!
This was made using Staedtler leads (primarily 4B to 4H) as well as Graphite powder on Strathmore Bristol 500 paper (plate). This is the first portrait I have drawn in graphite (although I did some with charcoal over 40 years ago). I don't think I am finished with it yet, but could use some input. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JayS

Re: Sheltering Arms

Post by JayS »

This is a wonderfully creative work. The first impression is of the raptor in the upper left corner. Wings spread as if to shelter the woman. Then as I scroll down, I see the suggestion of four hands holding the small bird. The scrolling only revealed the meaning of the title when I got to the bottom of the image. I was surprised. Three are so many interpretations that come to mind. This image contains an explosion of possibilities. One possible interpretation is that arms shelter when in a hug. Can she hug arms sheltering the tiny bird? Is the small bird on the right escaping from shelter? Rather than sheltering the woman is the hawk hunting? There are a lot of parallels to explore. The hawk's claws and the woman's hands. The outspread wings and the woman's arms. You have given me a lot to think about.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

JayS wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:58 pm This is a wonderfully creative work. There are a lot of parallels to explore. The hawk's claws and the woman's hands. The outspread wings and the woman's arms. You have given me a lot to think about.
Hi JayS,
Thank you so much for your interesting and supportive comments! This is probably the most creative work I have made and I can see how it can be interpreted so many ways! It was really fun to do and took quite a while to figure out the composition. I love reading the various interpretations. Thanks!

JayS

Post by JayS »

keep exploring!