Muster

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
LindasPencils

Muster

Post by LindasPencils »

Recently here in Australia there has been a show on the ABC called 'Muster Dogs'. Great program where 5 kelpie or border collie pups are given to stockmen/women to train in 12 months. Fun to watch these dogs learning their trade.
As my next project is a series of works 'On Country', the show inspired me to create 'Muster'. Drawn on Lana Hot Press 300gsm in Staedtler Karat w/c pencils, Staedtler Technico 2mm graphites (2H, HB, 2B, 4B) on a tea stain background.
With a steam punk/terminator twist! The dog reference is a friends young Kelpie, Tansy, and the sheep are from the same friend's parents muster pen/property. enjoy.
TansyFinal_24 DWM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Muster

Post by Mike Sibley »

I don't know how I missed this, but I'm thrilled to have discovered it.

Where to start.... there's so much to admire.

The first thing that grabbed my attention - other than the metalwork - was Tansy's rippling, glossy body. It's superbly studied and drawn. So full of tension and movement.

Then the bionic paws and super-eye! Even the bolt head in her jaw. Everything - even the "cog" grass - makes perfect sense.

And - strangely perhaps - I most admire the way you've used the shadows of the sheep to define them. They’re almost not there, so there's no risk of Tansy not dominating the scene. But they're there when looked for. I think it's the best and most successful simplification, of a mass that should be complex, that I've seen.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thanks Mike.
I have now done three in this series, and Tansy is the most successful. Not sure where i am taking this idea of 'country' yet, or where it is going.
Maybe some crazy contraptions/windmills next.
L.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I love your imaginative style Linda. Very unique, and very you!! I agree with Mike that the way you've treated the sheep in the background is the perfect backdrop for your main subject. I also love the contrast of the softness of the sheep against the steely determination of Tansy.