Wombat WIP

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Picasso2

Wombat WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

This little wombat, on remote Maria Island south of Australia, wasn't letting any objects bar her progress and wasn't in the least bit interested in us. I've attempted to capture her using Stabilo CarbOthello pastel pencils on Artspectrum Pastel paper and would welcome any comments/suggestions/advice on composition and technique
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Wombat WIP

Post by Mike Sibley »

I know nothing about Wombats... except we have one currently featuring in a TV advert. With Meerkats. Who have Russian accents and names. Don't ask! :roll: :) At least the Wombat has an Aussie accent.

So, I'm delighted to see a real Wombat busy in its native environment.

It's such a lovely drawing, Jean. Full of concentrated character. And I love that it has sufficient foreground and no background to tell your story. Anything else would simply confuse.

Love it!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Picasso2

Re: Wombat WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks so much Mike. I'm pleased with your comments on the setting for the wombat, as I was aiming to have it not detract from her, but wanted to convey the impression that she was clambering over the fallen logs (they are not the most agile or graceful of animals!). Whilst wombats are common on the mainland, they aren't seen so often, as they tend to be out and about mainly at dusk and dawn. However, as Maria Island is so isolated, they have nothing to fear there, so we were very fortunate to see several up close and personal in the middle of the day and hence able to get some good photos.
We, too, have meerkats speaking in Russian accent in adds and I agree there doesn't seem to be any reason for this (they are hardly endemic to Russia) but yet to see a wombat in an ad!
Regards
Jean