Ancient Souls

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Scribbler

Re: Ancient Souls

Post by Scribbler »

I think using perspective is not wrong, but in this case, with only two elements (the two Muskox) with little or nothing else that could point to depth, makes it irrelevant. The two animals could be different in size. There is no other information for my eye to relate to other than the two animals.
That said if we add a fence that disappears towards the vanishing point (the vanishing point is where all parallel lines converge.) then we see the two animals are equal in size. And it does not matter where the vanishing point is set, as long as you follow the lines. Or as Mike shows, a third Muskox further back gives the same information as the fence. We can make out a vanishing point and we get a clue about the size of the animals.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

JayS wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:37 pm Where are the shadows in the snow? and different size drifts would, I think, help. To get this definition I think of Mike's lessons on negative drawing and wonder where the shadows are? Shadows would help the oxes too.
Hi JayS, Thank you for your smile and great ideas. Yes, I agree that more shadowing and different size drifts would probably help. Mikes lesson on negative drawing is great. The sun is coming slightly from the right in front of them so shadows would mostly fall behind them. (That's where the sun's rays were coming in when I photographed them and I decided not to change it.) Thanks for your helpful comments!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:04 pm
Scribbler wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:54 pm A vanishing point is not always useful in landscape and nature. Whereas when drawing buildings it is a must. As Mike said it is better to draw the size you see as we don't know the true size of the left bull.
However, the only way I can see this perspective construct being useful is if you had a third (or more) Muskox to add in a straight line. Because now we visually understand the recession, and anything new has to conform to it. And here, the first two Muskox determine the exact position of the VP.
KATHY-PERSPECTIVE-3.jpg
Yes? Or no? I still think you need to use VISUAL resizing in the case of the two Muskox, but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts, anyone? Can perspective really play a part here?
Thanks Scribbler and Mike for your helpful comments about perspective. Mike, I can really see how having a 3rd Muskox makes us understand the recession and if there was to be a third one, perspective could be very useful. However, I have come to understand and definitely agree that the use of perspective in the current artwork with 2 muskox does not play a part. I agree that Visual resizing is what is needed. This really has been a great conversation and learning experience!