“DOBERMAN” - oil study.

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: “DOBERMAN” - oil study.

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArtTi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:34 am The part of the muzzle I’m referring to does the same thing as our human lips do - it’s separating gums and teeth from outside going along the jaw’s edge.
Ummmm... well... that would be LIPS. There, you solved your own problem. :) From outside to inside: Lower jaw > lips > gums > teeth > tongue. Oh! And FLEWS (pronounced "floos"), aka CHAPS, which are the knobbly, floppy bits of the gum in some dogs. Boxers use them to spray spittle everywhere to make sure everyone gets a bit, and you can see some here in this GSD:
GSD_gums.jpg
Or, more correctly: "The pendulous corners of the upper lip of certain dogs, such as the bloodhound. The pendulous or overhanging lateral parts of the upper lip of dogs, especially prominent in hounds."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike it’s an anatomy lesson to me, and I’m very sorry, but I will forget all those names of the muzzle part in no time 😅
And yes - your arrow is pointing EXACTLY the part I was struggling to name 😉👍
So it’s just lips?
Well - lips I WILL REMEMBER 😅
Thank you for photo and DETAILED lesson as well!!!

It’s another pointless update I’m afraid.
Hours spent went vanished.
I can see improvements only because I know where to look at, for anybody else it’s hardly noticeable- sorry.
It’s the eyes, area around them, the forehead, the ginger muzzle a bit, the blacks improved on the chest and where needed too… lol 😉👍
The head looks less dark than the bottom part - it’s because the top of this painting is affected by light source set above, and it’s just shining more… [left hand side].
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It’s been a week since last time I was working on it.
It’s the work, afternoon shifts…
I’m decorating the interior (the bathroom) too, actually improving the wall painting - WELL ! It’s stil PAINTING after all, isn’t it? Hahahahaaaaa
So eventually I’ve moved to the full body figurine today, but easy, I mean by this improving the blacks only…
The problem I see is where the shadow on the floor is (the blank area underneath).
The reference is very dark, I didn’t figure out how to adjust it (I’ve tried!) but this shadow is blended to the body itself, no edge visible…
I’m planning to fix it by soft edge, and blend the body to the background.
Will see how it goes later…

# The dog was originally intended as a guard dog,[9][10] so males typically have a muscular and intimidating appearance.[9][10] Females are usually thinner, but should not be spindly. The AKC breed standard differs from the FCI standards, with the latter being an often larger and heavier dog. This has led some to argue that Dobermanns and Doberman Pinschers should be considered and evaluated differently. #
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I am enjoying this oil study, Pogs. Your technique of using grey mid-tone base is very traditional and works well. Did you use acrylics for this? I like using a sepia acrylic base - haven't tried a gray as yet.
Are you using a drying medium in your oils? Just asking because you are making rapid progress with no smearing of the hues. I find the drying times frustrating without the drying medium.
I could use acrylics, but they dry TOO fast!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:37 am I am enjoying this oil study, Pogs. Your technique of using grey mid-tone base is very traditional and works well.
Thank you Linda.
The greys are just simple to use, as simple as working with different grades of graphite pencils.
So I’m readily playing with it 👍
Did you use acrylics for this? I like using a sepia acrylic base - haven't tried a gray as yet.
I’ve never been using acrylics (except when practicing airbrushing) because it’s just not the medium I’d like to paint using brushes…
Because it’s drying quickly it’s causing the airbrush needle getting clunky fast, so it requires frequent cleaning the nozzle etc…
Why I’ve stopped airbrushing?
Exactly because of that…
I realised that I’m more focused on frequent airbrush maintenance rather than on the painting itself…
Are you using a drying medium in your oils? Just asking because you are making rapid progress with no smearing of the hues. I find the drying times frustrating without the drying medium.
You’ve missed the first post Linda, where I’ve mentioned what I’m using 😉👍
It’s Alkyd oils (Griffin).
They’re drying eagerly, so I can enjoy oils having this advantage that next day the painting is touch dry.
Last year I wanted to do *real* oils…
I was VERY after…
But my daily sessions were upsetting me, as the painting was still fresh, and my fresh strokes were disturbing the painting, sort of wet on wet effect…
I gave up on my second painting study If I’m right…
It was my wife with niece portrait that I got upset by frequent messing with the flesh tones I was struggling get right, as with every new session I was ruining the previous achievements and so on…
Then I’ve noticed sort of ridiculous dusty particles sticking to the wet painting surface…
At some point the above struggles overwhelmed me, and I gave it up then.
Most probably I won’t get back to *real* oils ever again 😅
I’m not using any other medium, but Alkyd oils dear friend.
Thank you for your interest in here 😉👍
Art.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried Alkyds - but have been dabbling with water soluble oils. They are a true oil you can clean up with water. Drying is frustrating so just purchased some drying medium to trial with them. Of course, just as I have been getting interested in them, they discontinued the line!!!
have to wonder why?!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:01 am Of course, just as I have been getting interested in them, they discontinued the line!!!
have to wonder why?!
I have no clue Linda, lol :D
I’m sorry for a late reply…
I’m up to gardening … and a wall sculpture …and making the side of the kitchen steps to become a living plant wall ~ sort of a big display that will cover up the whole side…

The gardening is taking all my energy at the moment, as I have been removing all sort of wild growing bushes, that were overwhelming the whole available area for other plants…
I’ve purchased new bare root roses, the compost (lots of it!) and I’m enjoying it, even though the weather is harsh…
I’ve learnt that the end of Winter/early Spring time is best to plant roses while they aren’t awaken yet…
So instead of carry on this Doberman painting ~ I moved to unpleased gardening instead?!
I went ~ if I won’t do it now, then it’ll be too late …
I’ve decided to move on to refresh the interiors too, therefore the wall art come to my mind, following your sculpture arts, that you have had shared some time ago…
I have the plaster ready, I’ve learnt on YouTube of how to proceed …
I have bought these artist knives already…
Can’t wait to it!!! :D
I’ve never done any sculpture in my life though hahahaaaaaa :lol:
So the challenge is GREAT :lol:
I’m working throughout 7 days now (today is 6th, so tomorrow is 7th then 6 days off!).
This is what I’ve been waiting for, to have a time to start making wall art, so the kitchen “plant” display project …
I feel sorry for leaving the Doberman painting unattended, but I’m so busy and focused on new challenges at the moment, so I let myself to leave the Doberman behind for a while, until I can focus on it back again.
We’ve got a Polish saying for such situation, when you put something aside for a while to get back to it later…
To nie zajac, to nie ucieknie. . . what I’d translate to ~ it is not the rabbit, it won’t run away ;)

Best wishes to everybody, I’m sorry I’m not taking a part of this community for a while, I promise I’ll share the wall sculpture for sure!!!
Just wait for it, it’ll come this week :)

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArtTi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:06 am I’m up to gardening … and a wall sculpture …and making the side of the kitchen steps to become a living plant wall ~ sort of a big display that will cover up the whole side…
Good luck with all of that! :) I'm in a similar situation... trying to make our place look presentable for the April workshop (new 12' wide gates to fit across the entrance yard, etc). And, because we have a VIP staying here in May, I'm very busy redecorating the hallway, stairs and landing. I can't complain... I've been putting the job off for 32 years! :oops:

Good luck with the gardening and the sculpture. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

In the meantime, I've postponed the Drawing Trees video until summer, when I have actual trees with actual leaves to work with. And I'm currently planning the next 12 videos - and adding more almost daily. Production will begin soon.
To nie zajac, to nie ucieknie. . . What I’d translate to ~ it is not the rabbit, it won’t run away ;)
I really like that! :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:46 pm I'm in a similar situation... trying to make our place look presentable for the April workshop (new 12' wide gates to fit across the entrance yard, etc). And, because we have a VIP staying here in May, I'm very busy redecorating the hallway, stairs and landing. I can't complain...
Wow that seems a lot to me Mike 😉👍
You will manage all of it for sure, you’re very busy man all the time so you got essential experience to take the challenge 😉👍
Good luck !!!
I've been putting the job off for 32 years! :oops:
Lol, Mike …
I thought I’m the only one who left this sort of duties behind for too long, you have lifted me up right now 😊😊😊
Good luck with the gardening and the sculpture. I'm looking forward to seeing that.
Thank you Mike!
It’s making me too busy at a time, but so proud as well 😊
AND SAME TO YOU !!!
ENJOY and don’t work too hard 😉

Below it’s the plant display I’m currently working on…
The whole steps craving for renovation (left over for many years…), so I’ve started my concept plan to make a focal point at the side…, where the lights will be added later on (growing plant lights) as this has to be done for plants well being.
It is mostly for Orchids in mind, but I’ll introduce some other plants for sure.
Today it’s second day I’ve been working on it, not finished yet, there’s more to be done, but I’ve ran out of the coco liners and still awaiting for light bulb holders etc…
The sculpture will be at the top of the stairs, I’ll share it if you want 😉👍
Thank you for your interest Mike 😊
I’m happy to see your improvements as well, if you want to share 😀😀😀

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm in a similar situation... trying to make our place look presentable for the April workshop (new 12' wide gates to fit across the entrance yard, etc). And, because we have a VIP staying here in May, I'm very busy redecorating the hallway, stairs and landing. I can't complain...
Wow that seems a lot to me Mike 😉👍
You will manage all of it for sure, you’re very busy man all the time so you got essential experience to take the challenge 😉👍
Good luck !!!
I've been putting the job off for 32 years! :oops:
Lol, Mike …
I thought I’m the only one who left this sort of duties behind for too long, you have lifted me up right now 😊😊😊
Thank you Mike!
It’s making me too busy at a time, but so proud as well 😊
AND SAME TO YOU !!!
ENJOY and don’t work too hard 😉

Below it’s the plant display I’m currently working on…
The whole steps craving for renovation (left over for many years…), so I’ve started my concept plan to make a focal point at the side…, where the lights will be added later on (growing plant lights) as this has to be done for plants well being.
It is mostly for Orchids in mind, but I’ll introduce some other plants for sure.
Today it’s second day I’ve been working on it, not finished yet, there’s more to be done, but I’ve ran out of the coco liners and still awaiting for light bulb holders etc…
The sculpture will be at the top of the stairs…
I haven’t even start it yet 😅😉👍
Thank you for your interest Mike 😊
I’m happy to see your improvements as well, if you want to share 😀😀😀