“DOBERMAN” - oil study.

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

“DOBERMAN” - oil study.

Post by PogArtTi »

“DOBERMAN” - WIP.
For a long time I was wondering what to paint next.
I decided it’ll be portrait of the Doberman.
It’s my dear friend’s dog, and I’ll try to do my best 😉

- What you can see it’s an outline, this is how I’ve planed the painting.
- It’s A3 size Jackson’s linen board, super fine coarse, oil primed.
- Griffin Alkyd oils
- Non-Absorbent Acrylic Primer in neutral grey, Michael Harding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: “DOBERMAN” - oil study.

Post by PogArtTi »

“DOBERMAN” - oil study (WIP)
Hi everyone.
I’m blocking in some parts of the head to get the feeling of the shape right…
It is a girl, I think it already shows through the eyes?
Don’t you think so?
Tomorrow we will welcome the NEW YEAR ~ yay!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Doberman or Dobermann?
I’m just getting confused which of two I should stick to, as it seems both are in use when you search online…
Saying so this dog breed is named after Louis DOBERMANN - so it could be the answer to my doubt.
What you think?

I’ve found the answer on Google search 😉👍
…Is it spelled “Doberman” or “Dobermann”? The correct spelling is Dobermann (with two n's) if you are referring to the European Dobermann variety. Doberman (spelled with one 'n') refers to the breed as a whole and can be used to reference either an American Doberman Pinscher or European Dobermann.

# This is a bit of description;
The Dobermann is a German breed of medium-large domestic dog of pinscher type. It was originally bred in Thuringia in about 1890 by Louis Dobermann, a tax collector. It has a long muzzle and – ideally – an even and graceful gait.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

A bit of history 😉
“ Dobermanns were first bred in the 1880s by Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann, a tax collector who ran a dog pound in Apolda, in Thuringia in central Germany. With access to dogs of many breeds, he got the idea to create a breed that would be ideal for protecting him. He set out to breed a new type of dog that would exhibit impressive stamina, strength, and intelligence. Five years after Dobermann's death, Otto Goeller, one of the earliest breeders, created the National Doberman Pinscher Club and is considered to have perfected the breed, breeding and refining them in the 1890s.”

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Some more history 😉
# After Dobermann's death in 1894, the Germans named the breed Dobermann-pinscher in his honor, but a half century later dropped the word 'pinscher' on the grounds that this German word for 'terrier' was no longer appropriate. The British did the same a few years later; now the US and Canada are the only countries who continue to use Pinscher and have dropped an "n" from Dobermann's surname. #

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Art!

This is already looking splendid. I'm just elbowing my way into a front row seat to watch it unfold. :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:48 pm HAPPY NEW YEAR, Art!
This is already looking splendid. I'm just elbowing my way into a front row seat to watch it unfold. :)
HAPPY 2024 to you too Mike 👍👍👍
Once you’ve mention you’re settled at the FRONT ROW I’ve started shaking 😅
It’s because your eyes are so sharp to see imperfections…
Especially regarding the dog matter 😉👍
Thank you 😊

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I’m not sure if it’s just me, or details taking its time…
Basically all I did today is the bottom side of the muzzle, sorry I don’t know how it’s in English, the flesh next to the teeth (gums)?
Unfortunately even though it was time consuming it isn’t done yet, as it’s just first attempt of blocking in to get the idea of the colours and shapes…
With the rest of paint I’m carry on covering the foreground dog…

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArtTi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:26 pm ...the bottom side of the muzzle, sorry I don’t know how it’s in English, the flesh next to the teeth (gums)?
Gums -correct. In the lower jaw. I suppose you could call it the lower mandible too, but who does that? :roll:

You've already achieved a happy, and bright and intelligent appearance as befits a Dobbie.

I'm enjoying the history lesson. And that missing final 'N' really bugs me. I always spell it Doberman, but with ther uneasy feeling it should be double-N. HA! Even my spellchecker things it should be DobermaNN! :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

You know Mike.., I can’t find in my mind the exact name for this mouth feature even in my native language?
LOWER MANDIBLE …
This is first time I can see it in use, thank you, but as you’ve mention - who’s using it (lol).
The part of the muzzle I’m referring to does the same thing as our human lips do - it’s separating gums and teeth from outside going along the jaw’s edge.
And yes - the double nn thing (lol).
It’s stunned me as well, as all my life really I was using single N, which makes sense in my native language Mike, as we don’t use double letters in comparison to english 😉.
I just have found that fact while checking Google to share some regarding the Dobbies (I love this word 😊).
Thank you Mike.

“DOBERMAN” oil study.
I was improving the left ear today, just adding black tones, improving shadows and the whole look around.

# To become a world champion, dogs are judged to FCI standards. The American Kennel Club has its own standards, as do some other countries, although most still adhere to FCI standards. The breed standard describes the Dobermann as a dog of medium size that is also strong and muscularly built. In order to be eligible to meet these standards, the body of the Dobermann should appear to be almost square. #