Merry Christmas

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
JayS

Merry Christmas

Post by JayS »

Its been so long since I posted some of you may have thought I ceased to exist?
Life has been a little quirky. I was honored to host the president of the American Buffalo Soldier's Association here in Meeker.
While he was here, we engaged in a little experiment. About 20 people from the different cultures of Black, Ute, Hispanic and White met to answer 3 questions. What are the words that hurt, what are the words that heal, and can the words that heal overcome the words that hurt. We found 71 words that hurt. They are words that are divisive denying belonging to people. We found 61 words that heal. They are all inclusive words that bring belonging to people. In history we are all united as one people. We all belong to the human race. So, Arthur a history lesson is that a person can create comfort by focusing on the ways in which we are similar. This unification brings people together. And it may be one of the few ways we learn from history.

One of the buffalo soldiers is particularly fond of Big Horn Sheep. This drawing was done for him. The right horn of this animal was shattered in a fight. I can hardly imagine the force required to break a big horn....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Mike Sibley »

MERRY CHRISTMAS To you and yours, Jay. And may 2024 bring you everything you wish for.

Love the Big Horn sheep, and your drawing. They remind us of our (now deceased) Maurice. Not that he was a Big Horn - he was a four-horned Manx Loughtan sheep... but just as intimidating. :)
In history, we are all united as one people. We all belong to the human race.
I'll second that. And I wish more folk in this world would see those around them in the same light.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It’s always good to hear from you JayS and to look at your artwork.
I do like you’ve added a tinny straw of some grass I guess at the very bottom…
It’s overwhelmed by the main subject drastically, but adds a lot to overall experience while looking around the artwork.
Regarding the human being aspect, it’s always interesting to study this subject matter ✌️
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Wonderful work Jay. I am sure this drawing brought joy and comfort to your Buffalo solider friend.
Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Merry Christmas to you and your family Jay, and to all of my friends here on the forum.

Your drawing is wonderful. At first it appears to be a classic portrait, but quickly turns to a strong message of survival.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Merry Christmas Laurene...

and a MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL OUR MEMBERS! :D
Mike Sibley

JayS

Post by JayS »

Thank you all for your thoughts! Here in Colorado we have been waking up to below zero temperatures. Laurene you have a sharp eye a sharper mind. Linda as amazing as it sounds the buffalo soldier unfriended me. He blocked all my communication with him and failed to return phone calls. I'll never know why he was affended? Arthur, speaking of grass take a gander at this one....Mike I lock forward to more with you in 2024. J.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Did you say that the drawing receiver did unfriend you, blocked you off?
It’s hard for me to find any reason for doing so…
Wow…
Once ago my drawing wasn’t appreciated by relatives of my workmate, but him…
Even though he didn’t unfriend me.
We’ve met up coincidentally on the street once.
We’ve had shake our hands, chat for a while etc…
Even though his wife and mother in law was against my artwork, he did pay me for commission…
So now, listening to your experience in comparison, I cannot see the excuse for not being appreciated having your artwork given … FREE.
As you are well aware JayS, we people are very weird sometimes.
Don’t take it deeply is my advice, get over it, be above the stupidity.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and all our friends in THIS FORUM and in our life 😉👍
Art.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

What a thoroughly delightful drawing, Jay! And so full of character! Best wishes for the New Year, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work in 2024.
Mike Sibley

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

the buffalo soldier unfriended me.
that is just plain weird, Jay.
You have got to wonder - did he think you were asking for payment or something? Weird.
Perhaps the drawing looks a little too much like him? lol. That is the only thing I can think of. :mrgreen:
But know that WE appreciate your work! And feel free to gift me a drawing whenever you want. lol.
Happy New Year.