Tonal drawing #3: California Blue oak

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Tonal drawing #3: California Blue oak

Post by LindasPencils »

The third drawing in this term's classes in Tonal Drawing with graphite. You can read all about it on the blog: https://lindaweilfineart.blogspot.com/
CA Blue Oak DWM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Tonal drawing #3: California Blue oak

Post by Mike Sibley »

This is super - and the timing is perfect... given that I'm slowly putting together the DRAWING TREES video.

I think it's an excellent example of a tree as seen as an artist, rather than the "foliage on a stick" that others might see. :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I agree to Mike, trees drawn in a group are losing their personality a bit, I mean even we people in a group have our unique individual character dimmed - so the trees.
But when the tree is standing its ground, well, the stunning look is priceless.
It’s wonderful drawing Linda!!!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you, Mike, and PogArt.
Trees are always great fun to draw. The really important thing to understand is to NOT try to draw leaves, but rather masses of tones, minimal line work or outlines. Try and grow the tree from the base, and put in the darkest areas of mass first. Attached is a progress drawing.
I used the Derwent Sketching pencils, 4B, 2B and HB for the bulk of this drawing, with some 6B Staedtler finishing touches. I used these pencils because they have a nice thick core and work well as a 'painterly' style. You could also use a standard clutch pencil with a flat/chisel point to achieve a similar result.
CA oak progression DWM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:05 am Thank you, Mike, and PogArt.
Trees are always great fun to draw. The really important thing to understand is to NOT try to draw leaves, but rather masses of tones, minimal line work or outlines. Try and grow the tree from the base, and put in the darkest areas of mass first. Attached is a progress drawing.
I used the Derwent Sketching pencils, 4B, 2B and HB for the bulk of this drawing, with some 6B Staedtler finishing touches. I used these pencils because they have a nice thick core and work well as a 'painterly' style. You could also use a standard clutch pencil with a flat/chisel point to achieve a similar result.
CA oak progression DWM.jpg
I used to be different, I mean my approach was to draw single leaves (lol).
It took me a while to change my mind and start thinking of having a bigger picture in my mind ;)
Unfortunately I can not (never could) get rid of this totally, so I have this tendency still hidding and trying to overpower whenever possible 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArtTi wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:19 pm I used to be different, I mean my approach was to draw single leaves (lol).
It took me a while to change my mind and start thinking of having a bigger picture in my mind ;)
I think you're both correct. In my opinion...

You need masses containing only tonal variations in a distant background tree.
Masses that suggest foliage if you're drawing a midground tree.
And masses that consist of detailed leaves for very close foreground trees.

I'm trying to cover all three in the next DRAWING TREES video... and I'm beginning to think it should be three, or even four, videos. There's a lot to cover.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net