“Good and Evil” digital/DISCONTINUED.

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

“Good and Evil” digital/DISCONTINUED.

Post by PogArtTi »

Let me introduce my very first digital oils study.
All of my digital study is meant to let me practice skills ~ NOT to cheat.
Be assured it’s progressed *OLD FASHION WAY.

*From start to finish I’m following the same principles I’ve been practicing for last years using traditional media (paper,canvas,paint or graphite).
The only thing I cannot do is mixing manually colours on the palette…
The software is not supporting this…

Today’s tech devices are so smart, so I’d like to use it to carry on improving my skills, and benefit from freedom they can provide.

I have outlined the subject with loose brush strokes, and I’m doing my best to make it good looking…
The background I’ve blocked in with multiple random strokes of few hues, but I’m tempting to alter the colour at later stage yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: “Good and Evil” eOils study

Post by PogArtTi »

I have no time to focus on it, but at least I’ve done few strokes here and there before I go to bed 😉
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I don't believe in using the word 'cheat'.
Quite frankly, digital methods are just a new fancy pants type of paintbrush. If it your own 'hand' and mind working, it is a valid and beautiful medium to use. I am not talking direct manipulation/copy/drawing over of photo or others work, but as you are doing, creating an individual art piece using a new medium.
I also believe that if any of the old masters had had these tools at their disposal, they would not have hesitated to embrace them.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:10 am I don't believe in using the word 'cheat'.
Quite frankly, digital methods are just a new fancy pants type of paintbrush. If it your own 'hand' and mind working, it is a valid and beautiful medium to use. I am not talking direct manipulation/copy/drawing over of photo or others work, but as you are doing, creating an individual art piece using a new medium.
I also believe that if any of the old masters had had these tools at their disposal, they would not have hesitated to embrace them.
Thank you dear friend for sharing your point of view, you are well experienced artist, so you can understand this digital matter very well.
Unfortunately I’m being aware of the fact that people happily cheating on social forums, making quick alterations to the photographs or such, and standing their ground they did it from scratch…
I used to be a fb group member regarding digital media when I was practicing digital painting on my Wacom tab…
She (the admin) was an experienced digital artist, and she was very serious about posting "our own" arts to share on that fb group…
She just went through multiple cases, where her suspicions were confirmed (lol).
So this is sort of a problem I believe, as such cheaters just existing (lol).
And I do agree what you have mention that even old masters wouldn’t hesitate to use digital tools if they only could 👍👍👍
Thank you for stepping by!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:10 am I don't believe in using the word 'cheat'... I also believe that if any of the old masters had had these tools at their disposal, they would not have hesitated to embrace them.
I most certainly agree with that. Digital is a tool like any other. And, as you said, it's just a fancy - and very versatile - paintbrush. Children can use it to "colour in" and artists can use it to work their magic.

Artur, this is developing very well. I didn't understand the missing eye at first, but I do now. ;)

It's alive (well, half alive :roll:) and looking solid and realistic already.

And it's good to have you back here, after your visit to your mum.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

This project in digital version it’s not longer under my consideration my friends.
I wasn’t aware of how much I’m missing oils until I started this digital study.
The more I was trying it on my iPad the more I was conscious of the difference I’m facing.
The real joy of oils is the ability to mixing colours and then improving the skill to match the mixed colour to the painting on board…
To me it is like to have a soul or not.
The frustration I’ve faced with digital painting has had led me to get a set of real oils…
I have some brushes already, so the canvas that been stored…
Thank you for your comments on this post.
I’m starting over with real oils from today.
There’s a saying - you don’t know what you’re missing until you lose it.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:31 am I most certainly agree with that. Digital is a tool like any other. And, as you said, it's just a fancy - and very versatile - paintbrush. Children can use it to "colour in" and artists can use it to work their magic.

Artur, this is developing very well. I didn't understand the missing eye at first, but I do now. ;)

It's alive (well, half alive :roll:) and looking solid and realistic already.

And it's good to have you back here, after your visit to your mum.
Thank you dear Mike for keen words.
I’m sorry but the lack of ability to mixing colours while painting this subject did kill my mojo…
I ended up just picking the colour at colour wheel and adjusting it with help of the sliders …
Well…
It was working for a while, but eventually I lost the feeling to carry on this way…
Painting on iPad requires as much attention to detail as any other real drawing or painting as we all aware…
Therefore I am going to spend this priceless time to keep improving mixing skills rather than going short way…
I’ve been thinking and I have started this digital study to practice paintings and drawings while not working on my real projects…
It was meant to let me exercise drawings to make me busy practice skills more often.
Because of impossibility of mixing colours *the real way, I’m not willing to focus on digital drawing the way I have planned to…
Saying that it’s not that I will not draw on iPad anymore, as I have found new animation app, that requires drawing.
I do enjoy it a lot, and it keeps me busy drawing for longer, providing much more fun, and free hand drawing…
It is giving me necessary drawing exercise I was after.
It is such a joy to being able put a life into outlines, makes it moving the way you want to, behaving as you wish, do what you tell…
It’s also very challenging, especially now, when I’m learning software and features.
Two or three seconds of making simply animation of flying hummingbird is taking me about 2 hours of excitement, frequent free hand drawing the subject at different angles and poses!
It involves the eyeball practice to keep the drawn figurine within proportional regime too…
Well, I can not imagine better free hand drawing practice than this at the moment.

https://fb.watch/oG0Yn0OSOz/

https://fb.watch/oG182aPMmT/

Having this animation exercise I have decided to stop this digital painting where I cannot mixing colours, and move back again to my oils routine left behind at the beginning of this ending soon year.
From now on I will have my graphite and oils to carry on improving my skills as an artist, and the digital surface to practice free hand drawing while having fun creating animation.
Thank you Mike for looking after me, and being always supporting me whatever I’m up to…
If I ever could have ask to have a second father it would be You my friend.
Thank you.