"Silent Witness"

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

"Silent Witness"

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm craving to move onto something else, far away from portrait 😉
Actually the nature is my thing, but for some unknown reason I'm mostly stuck to portraiture (lol) 😆
I've been considering fewer ideas, ended up on Teddy bear and Halloween skeleton (😆)

•The first (portrait view) is a basic sketch of the idea, I've been trying map the mind on the paper...
•The second photo (landscape view) is a basic outlines...
This is how I like it to be drawn...

●Arches Aquarelle Hot Pressed 640g/m²
●A3 size
●Random graphite pencils, probably charcoal too...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: "Silent Witness"

Post by PogArtTi »

The skull is under attention 😉
It is first time actually, that I'm attempting drawing the skull, and this is first time I realise how many tinny details is there, apart of the skull bones, there are some scrap pieces of rotted skin still being wrapped over ribs for example, or the rotted fur still attached to the skull ...
Probably it would be easier drawing it on larger format for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

And some fresh out of desk work to share 😉

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I have been improving the skeleton today, the ribs area...
I'm finding it very challenging, because of those subtle curves within, so the shading is a bit overwhelming to make it realistic and 3 dimensional.
I'm carry on building up the dark background too.

JayS

Post by JayS »

Arthur, I like the composition. you are giving equal weight to the predator and the prey.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

JayS wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:55 pm Arthur, I like the composition. you are giving equal weight to the predator and the prey.
Thank you.
I'm aware, that both are set at the very centre of the page, but I couldn't see better way to put viewer's attention towards the foreground (the skeleton) first, then to make the viewer to look beyond that to see the bear...
I still don't know how I end it up...
Thank you dear JayS - how are you?.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I have returned the iPad (lol, it's turned out the display was faulty - from time to time on daily basis the display was activating random multiple points on the screen... When that's happen the keyword was acting like a playing piano board, windows were switching on and off, a real messy experience...
So I'm looking now for opportunity to buy brand new iPad on warranty for sure...)

The above story is to let you know, that I thought I won't have any more troubles logging in this forum regarding my IP being blocked and treating me as a spam being (lol)...

Unfortunately I have returned it, and I was blocked yesterday again in here, so I couldn't share update.

Nevertheless.
It seems I can login today, so I'm sharing all my boring story 😅

●So I have blocked in the whole background yesterday...
This art isn't meant to be a copy of natural environment, but some expression of my mind rather.
Therefore the background is not meant to represent any of trees, bushes or any other than being a solid black...

I like the viewer to be focused onto the main subjects only.
The bear - that's my aim in here.
I would like to achieve to make the bear staring at the viewer, with his small deadly eyes...
To get the feeling just right, that a predator is staring at me, and considering me as a potential prey to hunt down next...
The foreground skeleton is to support the meaning of the picture...
I like it to support the certain oncoming ...
Sort of the message of what's going to happen and what outcome will be ...
I'm not sure if I can do anything to express what I want, as the bear has no face mimics rather, other than as it is...
Well, let see if I'll achieve the effect I'm after 😉
Otherwise it will be just a simple and not too interesting drawing..., where the bear is just looking forward 😉

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I love how the detail within the skull is mainly suggestion, but appears to be intricately woven. It seems to be following the same plan I use for foliage: sharp foreground elements that make you believe the random shapes behind them are a part of the same structure.

It's progressing wonderfully well.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:20 pm I love how the detail within the skull is mainly suggestion, but appears to be intricately woven. It seems to be following the same plan I use for foliage: sharp foreground elements that make you believe the random shapes behind them are a part of the same structure.

It's progressing wonderfully well.
I was wondering what you'd say Mike, knowing you appreciate rarher some sort of suggested features rather than pitch black solid background...
It seems you don't mind me trying this kind of expression.
I can not deny, I'm a fan of Jono Dry's artwork.
It speaks to me, to my likeness, so I'm trying take something from him and adapt to my way of expression...
I'm learning from you a lot too, following your knowledgeable tutorials whenever they're out...
So most probably you're very right, seeing your way of drawing involved in my experimental pieces...

I'm paying visit to my mum in Plland at the moment, I'm coming back UK next Monday.
Monday 13th I will receive the iPad...
This is the time I will start practicing digital artwork once again.
It will be digital oils, as I'm a big fan of oil painting...
As before (Wacom Intuos Tab) I will do the digital artwork Old Fashion Way, to keep going practicing skills of mixing the colour, matching it, etc.
Let's hope I can express my mood digitally as well.

Graphite drawing will give me opportunity to carry on practice graphite black and white artwork, where the digital oils will let me enjoy colours...

Thank you for stepping by Mike 😉

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArtTi wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:36 pm I was wondering what you'd say Mike, knowing you appreciate rather some sort of suggested features rather than pitch black solid background... It seems you don't mind me trying this kind of expression.
Don't mind??? Of course, I don't mind. :D It would be a thoroughly boring world if we all drew in the exact same way. And while you're trying out different approaches, I'm learning from you too.
I'm paying visit to my mum in Poland at the moment, I'm coming back UK next Monday.
I hope you're thoroughly enjoying yourself - and here's wishing you an uneventful and smooth return journey.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net