"Call me Jack" - FINISHED

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: "Call me Jack"

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:45 pm Pog, as has been said , off to a great start.

Thank you!
If that dog actually tied it himself your sister could be becoming wealthy, lol.

That a good point my friend (lol).
This breed is actually capable of being very smart dog breed!
And I mean it!
No many of dogs are capable of imagining 2D flat drawing as an 3D object!
The Border Collie the TV documentary was about, could recognise (if I get it right) around 400 of 2D flat pictures!
After showing him the picture he was going to other room, and picking up matching item and bringing it over!
Wow!
I wasn't aware that it's sort of unusual skill to the dog, to being able connect the 2D picture to the real 3D item, whether it's a shoe, or ball or else...!
So my sister's dog could be actually considered to be capable of making this bow tie by himself!
(πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† - it's joke obviously πŸ˜‰)
But the TV documentary is not πŸ‘

What I find interesting in the way you approach a drawing is that you work the whole drawing at once. Some here some there.

Yeah, that's true...
You see, there's many things to do while we drawing...
When I gave no time, I'm blocking the background in then, so I'm carry on progressing as often as I can...
The plain background requires me no much focus or attention, and it can be very relaxing πŸ˜‰
So once is done, I can move on to more challenging parts of the drawing when I can spent moretime on it πŸ‘

How do you keep that charcoal powder from getting into the image?

I'm rubbing it into the paper tooth with the cotton ball, so it isn't loose anymore.
But this is actually my first time when I'm experimenting with mixed powder to walnut oil.
I have rubbed the mixed liquid into the paper surface, so it's firm and solid like a paint...
Once dry - won't smudge the drawing (I'm hoping so, as this is an experiment πŸ‘)

Looking forward to following your drawing.
Thank you!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I was blocked off yesterday, so I'm posting this quick update this morning πŸ˜‰
I was working last few days, so there's no much of progress...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArtTi wrote: ↑Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:22 pm But this is actually my first time when I'm experimenting with mixed powder to walnut oil.
I did rub the mixed liquid into the paper surface, so it's firm and solid like a paint...
Once dry - won't smudge the drawing (I'm hoping so, as this is an experiment πŸ‘)
That was a brave thing to do. It could have gone terribly wrong... but it hasn't! In fact, it appears to have worked wonderfully well - although totally irreversible.

Even at this early stage, Jack has so much life that you could stop right now, call it 'done', and it would be quite acceptable.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:11 am That was a brave thing to do. It could have gone terribly wrong...

Actually I was aware what to expect Mike, as it was shared by Jono Dry, an graphite artist I'm following on YouTube.
It is his idea I liked to try by myself...
But I did it first time, and yes, it was sort of hit or miss experience, and it's actually worked out πŸ˜‰

...although totally irreversible.

Yes, indeed Mike πŸ˜‰

Even at this early stage, Jack has so much life that you could stop right now, call it 'done', and it would be quite acceptable.
It's interesting that you have also come up to this point I was wonder about...
I got weird feeling that it looks like finished, even though I spent on it just few days...
The likeness striking out from this drawing, even though it's only half way through?
Thank you very much for keen words Mike!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Today's update - the nose has been under attention πŸ˜‰
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm running out of superlatives... ;)

But this just gets better and better - even when I think it's as good as it can get.

Keep going - I'm enjoying the ride!
Mike Sibley

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:55 am I'm running out of superlatives... ;)

But this just gets better and better - even when I think it's as good as it can get.

Keep going - I'm enjoying the ride!
I'm really confused getting this much of positiveness from you Mike, as I think you could with no effort pick up this and that at this stage - so I could have learn on my faults (πŸ˜‰)
Instead - you keep convincing me, that I'm doing it well, and I'm carry on the right direction πŸ˜‰πŸ‘
It does making my day, and keep me motivated too - THANK YOU!

I have few days off, and I've just finished today's effort πŸ˜‰
I've been improving the white fur around the head, around the mouth, and some details, tinny bits here and there, which i my opinion needed adjustment...
I have also moved down, below the mouth, and have been improving ball tie, by shading it and trying achieve 3D shape of the form...
I hope I don't disappoint you MikeπŸ‘

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I can say that I've covered the whole body with the graphite shading.
Now I'll dig into the detail, improving both, the shape of the fur and tonal subtle transfers.
Thank you for watching.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArtTi wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:00 pm ...I think you could with no effort pick up this and that at this stage - so I could have learn on my faults (πŸ˜‰)
Instead - you keep convincing me, that I'm doing it well, and I'm carry on the right direction πŸ˜‰πŸ‘
There a very good reason for that...

It's because you're doing it well, and carrying on the right direction πŸ˜‰πŸ‘ :D
I hope I don't disappoint you Mike πŸ‘
Nope... not at all. ;) Keep doing what you're doing.

Oh, and I love the form of the mouth and its gentle curves and details. Lovely work!
Mike Sibley

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:51 pm
There a very good reason for that...

It's because you're doing it well, and carrying on the right direction πŸ˜‰πŸ‘ :D

THANK YOU !!!
Keep doing what you're doing.

I WILL DO ❀️

Oh, and I love the form of the mouth and its gentle curves and details. Lovely work!
I'm just doing what I can to transfer on the paper these subtle tonal changes around the dog's form - based on keen suppor of your feedback Mike, it seems it works πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

●Most probably you have guessed already, that the software did block me off in half way AGAIN (πŸ˜†), so once again, the post was accepted, but photo was stopped (like in my mum's portrait, lol πŸ˜‰).
- I've updated the photo just moment ago πŸ‘
Not much left to call it finished! [
/i]