"Call me Jack" - FINISHED

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

"Call me Jack" - FINISHED

Post by PogArtTi »

"Call me Jack"
●Arches Aquarelle Hot Pressed Paper
640gsm/300lb
●A3 size

Well, let's begin another drawing πŸ˜‰
It's the Border Collie, young dog of my sister 😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: "Call me Jack"

Post by PogArtTi »

Some more progress to share with you friends.
I've been blocking in the background with charcoal powder, and to fight back against bad habit of leaving the empty holes of the eyes - I've started marking them first thing πŸ˜‰
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm going to work tomorrow, so it might be few days before I can come back to it...
I've been doing more detailed work today, defining the ear and the eye, shaping them...
I'm hoping I'm making it right way lol, it's been long time since I've been holding pencils in my hand...
My mum's portrait went alright (I think πŸ˜‰πŸ‘).
Now's time to draw this beautiful dog πŸ‘Œ

● Watch it here if you like πŸ˜‰
https://fb.watch/nGlnhYSKMy/

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Well, this is off to a fantastic start. It has life already!

Jack reminds me of our Jess. Except Jess didn't wear bow ties..... probably because the sheep would have laughed at her.

Heavens - it's years since we kept sheep (Manx Loughtan). How time flies.

I’m going to enjoy watching Jack progress.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

fight back against bad habit of leaving the empty holes of the eyes
Its not a 'bad habit', many artists work this way. Personally, I have found that as eyes are so important to the overall image, if I leave them to last, and then stuff them up after ALL THAT FUR WORK, it is just devastating. So I like to get the eyes done at least 80% early. That way if I make a mess of them, I can restart the drawing with no loss or dramatics.

Progress so far looks great. And his eyes are lovely. :D

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

[
Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:33 pm Well, this is off to a fantastic start. It has life already!

Thank you very much!
Getting from YOU such comment means a lot.
YOU Mike are the STAR MASTER if it comes to dog drawings!

Jess didn't wear bow ties..... probably because the sheep would have laughed at her.

I bet it was a GREAT excuse not to wear the bow tie!
πŸ˜…πŸ‘Œ

Heavens - it's years since we kept sheep (Manx Loughtan).

I'm guessing the Manx Loughtan is the sheep breed πŸ˜‰
I'm loving animals, but in this case I feel I'm a total ignorant!
To me the sheep is just sheep - as I've never been i to sheep keeping hobby πŸ˜‰

I’m going to enjoy watching Jack progress.
THANK YOU!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:28 pm Its not a 'bad habit', many artists work this way.

Thank you Linda - good to know I'm not the only one πŸ˜‰

Progress so far looks great. And his eyes are lovely. :D
I'm very appreciate for your keen words dear Linda 😊
Thank you!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArtTi wrote: ↑Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:55 pm I'm guessing the Manx Loughtan is the sheep breed πŸ˜‰
I'm loving animals, but in this case I feel I'm a total ignorant! To me, the sheep is just sheep - as I've never been i to sheep keeping hobby πŸ˜‰
Very wise!!!!!!! The only good thing about sheep is they give you a legitimate reason to swear. Often!

Sheep are only interested in two things: ESCAPING and to INEXPLICABLY DIE.

Well, there is a third good thing with the Manx... they're an old native breed that humans haven't messed up, so you lamb them with binoculars. That is, you just let them get on with it. ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Pog, as has been said , off to a great start. I also know about nothing about sheep. Wait this is about a dog with a bow tie. If that dog actually tied it himself your sister could be becoming wealthy, lol. What I find interesting in the way you approach a drawing is that you work the whole drawing at once. Some here some there. How do you keep that charcoal powder from getting into the image? I would usually do that kind of background last. Looking forward to following your drawing.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:51 pm Very wise!!!!!!! The only good thing about sheep is they give you a legitimate reason to swear. Often!
Well - now I know why I've never was much of a sheep man - if they would cause me swear this much πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Sheep are only interested in two things: ESCAPING and to INEXPLICABLY DIE.

And that's the second reason πŸ˜†

Well, there is a third good thing with the Manx... they're an old native breed that humans haven't messed up
At least some positive aspect, as we humen messing everything we're getting on...