Timeless an old woman

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Timeless an old woman

Post by rideum51 »

It has been quite awhile since I posted a drawing. Severed pip joint on my third finger drawing hand put me out of commission for several months. In scanning this drawing i learned that the settings on the scanner has a lot do with the results. Getting the scan to replicate the original takes some time. Your comments will be appreciated
An old Woman22cdef1 20231001_18293148.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Timeless an old woman

Post by PogArtTi »

It's obviously a master piece to me!
No doubt about it.
The only thing I could mention is that, the eyes on this uploaded scan looking like fully filled with the blacks, I mean they're appearing like empty black holes.
I have no scanner, just using regular mobile phone's camera, and I know that my camera is changing a lot and I'm hopeless.
At some point I wish I have had a proper scanner to alter the digital photograph look, but then I would need to spend extra time playing with settings to match what I can see on the paper...
Well, I doubt I'd enjoy that 😉
Beautiful art rideum51 !!!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

First, I really hope your finger has fully recovered. We missed you. ;)

I'm honestly undecided about this. There's excellent work in it, but some parts jar a little. I can't help wishing there was just a little light in the eyes. Just the tiniest hint would turn them from dark holes to eyes in deep shade. That was the first thing that struck me, and it won't let me rest. :roll:

The more subtle creases on the face work better than the more prominent right-hand ones. Those above the eye are troubling me, and I'm not sure why. Possibly because they are blunt-ended, or that the highlights are too bright or broad? Where the creases across the forehead, with their more subtle highlights, really look good.

The same could be true of the hand, but I find those quite acceptable - in that they describe the looseness of the skin very clearly.

All that said - overall, of course, the underlying emotion is perfectly expressed.

Is there a history behind this image?
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thanks both Pog and Mike. Finger is good now but a slightly bent. Mike yo asked where the refence photo came from and actually I don't remember. Like many of us when we see and image tat interests us we just save it in the computer for a later time. She does though remind me of the old Ukrainian gentleman that I posted late last year. Maybe it's his wife, lol. Regarding the eyes you both are correct, it would be better if there was some reflection in them but as you can see in the original image that I just posted, they are blank. I guess that's the problem with cameras, they can only record what they see. As artists we have more freedom, if we choose to use it.
facebook_1625485084088_6817778590134723040.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:56 pm ... you can see in the original image that I just posted, they are blank. I guess that's the problem with cameras, they can only record what they see. As artists we have more freedom, if we choose to use it.
Yes my friend, it's up to the artist to pick up what is worth to capture on the drawing, and do changes to those things, that are off.
Your drawing is superb regardless of these eyes rideum51.
This forum is mainly to pin point minor imperfections,
and this is what we all do while commenting...
It is beautiful artwork!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I guess that's the problem with cameras, they can only record what they see.

Yes, but photographers (like this one) are artists in their own right and will manipulate an image, increasing saturation and contrast. Which is what I suspect has happened here.
Your drawing is a faithful reproduction of the image, and this is where you have to make a personal decision - do you want to copy exactly? Or do you want to interpret and create? Both are valid expressions of your drawing skills - one explores and teaches fine techniques and the other uses your imagination and creativity. No judgement from me on either choice. Your interpretation of this photo nicely captures the emotion of the moment.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:56 pm I guess that's the problem with cameras, they can only record what they see.
Partly true. The real problem is that they take an average view of everything they see.

Cameras look at the whole scene, adjust for the brightest and darkest values (and assume white is an 18% grey) and then take a photo.

But that's not how WE work. As we look around a scene (something a camera cannot do) our eyes constantly refocus and adjust to the local lighting. So we see things a camera will never see -particularly in deep shade and bright highlights.
As artists, we have more freedom, if we choose to use it.
My argument is that we HAVE to choose that option - if only to compensate for what a camera cannot capture. In this case, telling the viewers that the eyes are not "black holes".
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net