Mum portrait... FINISHED

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: Mum portrait... FINISHED

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:17 pm Superb! And that's not a word use lightly. It's a beautiful portrait crafted with love.

Are you giving it to your mum when you visit? If you are.... she's going to be so delighted! :o :D
Thank you Mike 😊 💓 ☺️ 💗
I do appreciate your keen compliment.
Regarding the handing it over - it's a bit of trouble as I'm going with handbag (small backpack) only.
The drawing won't fit unfortunately...
I've spoken to my mum already about the issue, and I did offer ... well... a photocopy instead...
I'm going to print the photo out from my mobile phone in local photo point in my hometown, then I'll frame it too...
I know, it's a shame.
But I can't fit this drawing to my bag to get on the airplane with it...
It's just like heavy cardboard, I can't roll it up, or bend either...
So I'll print it in Poland.
Mum knows about it, and as you suspect, she doesn't mind...
I've been considering to post it, but too risky...
If it gets damaged, or lost or else...
I just don't want risk losing the original.
The plan B is as follows - if the photo print will be crap, then I'll take this original drawing next time I go visit mum (next yer probably 😉).
Thank you Mike.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:24 pm Nice work Pogs - you can see the love shining through, from her and from you. I like her smile.
Thank you so much dear Linda for keen comment 😊
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

JayS

Post by JayS »

Arthur...really well done. I've been gone awhile and your work has improved a great deal. Terrific progress.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

JayS wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:05 pm Arthur...really well done. I've been gone awhile and your work has improved a great deal. Terrific progress.
Thank you dear friend a lot for keen comment!
I'm very glad you're finding out I'm improving...
I feel so as well...
Just something has happened, I can not name it, but I feel more confident, and it's hard to explain, but I can see more than before, sort of beyond?
I'm just drawing as I used to, but my recent drawings looks better somehow?
I don't know, but I'm starting liking my drawings?
I rather never did before...
Thank you 😊

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArtTi wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:19 pm Just something has happened, I can not name it, but I feel more confident, and it's hard to explain, but I can see more than before, sort of beyond? I'm just drawing as I used to, but my recent drawings look better somehow? I don't know, but I'm starting liking my drawings?
I've been there. More than once. So, I understand what you're saying.

This is an unsigned drawing on copy paper from (I think) 1979.
CHI-78.jpg
It's nothing special. But it is the first dog I drew that had life. All previous drawings were copies of the reference photos.

I can't say why it's different - I wish I could - but it was a major step forwards.

The most likely reason is that I was drawing the dog and not the photo. I'm wondering if drawing your mother previously had that effect? Because you were drawing your mum and not her photo.

Well, for whatever reason, it's a definite leap forwards. And it will happen again at various points. It means you've achieved something that cannot be taught. Books, videos, workshops... none can teach you that step, because it comes from within you. It's a new connection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:59 am Well, for whatever reason, it's a definite leap forwards. And it will happen again at various points. It means you've achieved something that cannot be taught. Books, videos, workshops... none can teach you that step, because it comes from within you. It's a new connection.
Thank you my friend for your share, and it is lovely drawing of the dog, and I know you mean - it has the life ...
It's very surprising me, that it is happening, you know Mike, the experience you've mentioned...
I don't know what it is, but it's happening ...
After reading your story tale, I'm more aware how great artists can draw even general thing, and you can sense likeness within...
Inexperienced artist can not achieve it, even though the drawing (technically) may be very similar...
Well...
I've started practicing drawing back in 2015...
Then experimenting with different mediums throughout that time, coming back to graphite, leaving it...
I mean...
For all I've done throughout those years, this is first time I think I'm touching something very new to me, I'm touching unknown zone of likeness involved tomy drawings...
Maybe I have stopped making reference copies, and have started drawing subjects instead?
I hope this will last, because I very like it (😊)

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Nicely done

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:40 pmNicely done
Thank you my friend.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I haven't been checking the posts lately, but finally started to get back in the habit of reading them. I wanted to say what a wonderful drawing of your mum! Full of expression!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

kwheller wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:35 pm I haven't been checking the posts lately, but finally started to get back in the habit of reading them. I wanted to say what a wonderful drawing of your mum! Full of expression!
It’s very kind of you having posting keen words in my favour dear friend…
Thank you.
Art.