Mum portrait... FINISHED

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Mum portrait...

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:34 pm I must say - the foliage on the reference is more detailed, as you can imagine a bunch of garden flowering plants - but it's the portrait, not botanical illustration (😅) - so I'm making it up rather than closely copying leaf by leaf, and making it out of focus at the same time...
Excellent - on both counts. I was a little worried earlier that the foliage might fight for dominance - but no longer. ;)

And making it up means you'll achieve the balance required - rather than risking it and hoping the actual foliage will do the job.

I still really do like the way your paper is softening your mum's features.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you for keeping a finger on my updates Mike, and for keen words since beginning...

I was expecting some picking up on the faults by your experienced artist's eye, but so far not any harsh comments...

It means - you're trying be very gentle not to discourage me (😉) or you really like it so far, and you're waiting to final - to share your conclusion 😉.
Whatever it is - THANK YOU Mike 😊

●I've been improving the shadows today at the LHS eye, bottom of mum's face, the cheek a bit...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:16 pm I was expecting some picking up on the faults by your experienced artist's eye, but so far not any harsh comments... It means - you're trying to be very gentle not to discourage me (😉) or you really like it so far,
Secretly, of course, I'm waiting for the opportunity to tear it to pieces, but..... it's all looking good. It's very depressing... :( :roll:

Truthfully, I love the way it's emerging, and the emotion you're putting into it. I particularly like the eyes. You sometimes, in my opinion, draw rather "hard" eyes - lots of contrast and sharp edges - but your Mum just displays a softness of character coupled with a warm spirit and wisdom gained over time.
Mike Sibley

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:20 am Secretly, of course, I'm waiting for the opportunity to tear it to pieces, but..... it's all looking good. It's very depressing... :( :roll:
Hahahaaaa - you've just make my day Mike! :D
Truthfully, I love the way it's emerging, and the emotion you're putting into it.
Thank you...
You sometimes, in my opinion, draw rather "hard" eyes - lots of contrast and sharp edges -

It's because I'm rather inpatient Mike...
I do like detailed work, but same time not putting too much attention to finish it off nicely...
So usually I'm stopping improving at the point, where I could do a bit more to make it finer...

your Mum just displays a softness of character coupled with a warm spirit and wisdom gained over time.
I don't know what's going on in here...
You know the feeling I'm experiencing?
It's like I've had locked rooms in my mind, and one of them have been recently opened...
I just can see more, I do things on this drawing, and after looking at it, my jaw is dropping down, as I can see it's working the way I like...
My mum is coming to life nicely, the wrinkles looking convinced and instead of making her face old, they're adding the character (in my opinion)...
And you know some - I know I'm not too good drawing people, but animals.
It's surprising me even more, as in comparison to the faces I've done till now, this drawing is superior!?
I can still ruin it, so I keep my fingers crossed 🤞
Thank you Mike.

●It's yesterday's session - I couldn't post it, I was blocked off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Nearly done...
Final touches are left only 😉
I bet I can not do much more than it's been done already.
I'll try improve things here and there, and I might call it finished then 😊

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

One quick suggestion...

I love that you've left ghostly suggestions of flowers above your mum, because she remains the main focus.

But that bright flower over her left temple really catches my attention - and pushes your mum into the background. It's just my personal opinion, but darkening it slightly should remove its unwanted prominence.

Other than that... this is as spectacular as I always believed it would be.
Mike Sibley

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:12 am One quick suggestion...
... that bright flower over her left temple really catches my attention ...
... but darkening it slightly should remove its unwanted prominence.
Your suggestions are always welcome Mike!
I'll darken it - thank you.

Other than that... this is as spectacular as I always believed it would be.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

PogArtTi

Re: Mum portrait... FINISHED

Post by PogArtTi »

It's FINISHED !!!
11 October 2023
I think I could carry on digging into small details, but I can live with this efect too, it's not overdetailed and not too flimsy - I hope it's balanced enough.
I have tried make faded and blurred foliage around, and the mum's face more pronounced in comparison.
I hope it worked.
Thank you very much for following dear friends.

● Arteza Heavy Weight Paper 400g/m², 246lb.
● A3 size 11in x 14in.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Superb! And that's not a word use lightly. It's a beautiful portrait crafted with love.

Are you giving it to your mum when you visit? If you are.... she's going to be so delighted! :o :D
Mike Sibley

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Nice work Pogs - you can see the love shining through, from her and from you. I like her smile.