Vietnamese Lady WIP

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Picasso2

Vietnamese Lady WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

On a recent trip to Vietnam I was struck by the elegance of the Vietnamese women in their traditional dress and wanted to try to capture this in this miniature pastel drawing (approx 12cm x 10 cm). I'm not sure how much detail to put into a drawing of this size and also would appreciate any comments as to what else it needs.
Unfortunately the photo doesn't appear very clear and I'm not sure whether this is due to the fact that the subject is so small and whether there is a trick to photographing drawings of this size.
Would welcome any suggestions.
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Vietnamese Lady WIP

Post by Mike Sibley »

I have to say that <b>I love this just as it is!</b>

The material (I'm assuming silk) is positively alive!

You've absolutely captured the movement and swirl, and the way it moulds itself to her figure as she walks.

Wonderful!

And I doubt any additional detail would add anything at all - and might even detract.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

You have captured "framed" the motion of the walking woman perfectly!
It's obvious she's on the move - when looking at your drawing - awesome!
Regardless of your doubts, whether the picture is sharp or the colour showing just right, it is very good drawing for sure.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks so much Mike and PogArt. I'm sorry that the photo was so bad, but I just couldn't seem to get it focused. If anyone knows if there any tricks to getting sharp photos of small works, I'd really like to know.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Picasso2 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:00 am If anyone knows if there any tricks to getting sharp photos of small works, I'd really like to know.
Hi, I'm not sure if that may help, but I'm depending on the regular mobile phone's camera myself.
Just taking photo as it is, and posting.
I bet the light condition in the interior is very important to get better photo quality.
I'm rather avoiding any photo/editing apps to add filters, but sometimes I do for social sharing, just to make it a bit more attractive for none artist viewers - if that's making sense my friend.

I bet there's nothing wrong if you'd try edit your photo using such photo editor, and try to improve the sharpness, or such?
But it won't be any good for posting it postprocessed to the forum like this I bet - as altered photograph will for sure confuse members and based on that false effect - you will get false advice - if that comes in sense 🤘🤠
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

It is a lovely, ethereal drawing, that also exhibits your skill and technique well. You handle the medium beautifully and have created a moment in time drawing.

re the camera - you said you were using a Cannon Power Shot?, as I think I mentioned to you in class, check out the settings, look for the macro setting. It is a little flower shaped icon. When taking the photo, do it outside on a dull, overcast day, (easy here in Melbourne), early morning is best. Place the work flat on the ground or else at a 45degree angle. If you have a tripod or monopod use that to steady your hand. Take several shots as there will always be one or two fuzzy ones. Don't zoom in with the camera, adjust the distance to the surface plane by bringing the camera in closer until the camera beeps and the green square shows up when half pressing the trigger- then shoot.

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks so much Linda. I've had Brian playing around with the macro setting on his camera and the tripod and he's managed to get some much sharper images.