grass method 1

Post your exercises for critique - from the videos, Drawspace courses, or Drawing From Line to Life.
Shmush

grass method 1

Post by Shmush »

Here is the results after several attempts using method 1 for drawing grass. I think I am getting the idea of doing the up and down strokes and the purpose of each. I have a vague idea of creating positive grass with negative strokes, but not to the point where I am making it happen. I don't think my "positive" areas say "grass blades". Nor do any of my dark areas say "shadows in the grass." The grass on the left I drew with a B mechanical pencil, on the right is drawn with a HB Staedtler drawing pencil. I am drawing on inexpensive paper which likely doesn't allow for as clearly defined strokes as I would have on more expensive paper...? Any other suggestions, other than studying actual grass and more practice?
grass method 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: grass method 1

Post by Mike Sibley »

Shmush wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:01 pm Here are the results after several attempts using method 1 for drawing grass...Any other suggestions, other than studying actual grass and more practice?
Well, I think you would benefit from studying actual grass and more practice. :D

Sorry! I couldn't resist the temptation. :roll:

I think you're only missing one element. Where the grass at the top disappears behind the more forward grasses at the bottom, that grass would become progressively darker. The foreground grass will shade the light from the grass behind it. Even if it didn't, I'd still darken that background grass, because then we understand one is shading the other, and is in front.

This is rough and ready (OK, it's a mess ;) ), because I don't have much time this morning, but... like this...
MARY-Grass-1.jpg
Look for leaf-like shapes as they appear, and then draw down to refine them. Grass is usually very dark between blades, so don't be afraid of using strong darks in your drawing of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net