Cat Portrait in Progress

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

Cat Portrait in Progress

Post by kwheller »

Hi all,
This following pet portrait is drawn with Staedtler leads on Strathmore Bristol 500 plate. I still have the whiskers to draw (they are black), have a lot to do on the mane. and have more work overall, but I could really use some feedback. This commissioned work is of a deceased cat so I am really stressing to get it right. Here are my questions:

1) First, the cat is suppose to be black. At this point, I think I need to add workable fixative to be able to add more graphite to darken it. However I am concerned about making it too dark and losing detail. Thoughts?

2) The light source is coming from the left. I have dozens of photos of cats (besides looking at my own) to be sure the highlights are in the correct areas. My biggest area of concern is around the mouth and where the whiskers will be coming out. When I make it darker, it fades away. Suggestions? (The photos of the decreased cat are very dark and hard to see).

3) The long mane is actually lighter (brown) than the rest of the black cat, and the fur below it is very black fur. I wasn't sure if I should keep the dark fur I tried to draw below the mane (that looks like a ring of dark fur), eliminate the dark fur ring (since it doesn't look right to me), or draw more of the cat?

This is the first time drawing a cat portrait of just the head and mane of a cat. Mike, I have limited edition prints of your cat portraits (and your book) and was sort of going by those as to how much of the cat to draw. Thoughts?

Really appreciate any feedback of this in progress cat portrait.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kwheller

Re: Cat Portrait in Progress

Post by kwheller »

Hi all,
Well I was going to eliminate the black fur outlining the mane in the first picture, but decided to keep drawing fur. Not sure about how I cut the picture with a bit more fur under the mane with that odd curved finish. Thoughts?
I was also able to darken the cat without using fixative yet. Any feedback on original questions and this new in progress version is appreciated. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Also, I meant to add that I used a Prismacolor Ebony Jet Black Extra smooth pencil for the pupil and a bit of the fur. First time using it. It seems to be like a 6B but it isn't as flakey as Staedtler tends to be in the softer leads. (This is a typical graphite pencil that reflects, not one of those Staedtler Lumograph Blacks that doesn't reflect and seems more like carbon). I'm usually not going any softer than 4 B since I use Mike's technique of getting those blacks, but have used softer Staedtler pencils.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I saw this yesterday and thought I'd sleep on it... because I haven't the foggiest idea what to do with it. :oops: :roll:

And I still haven't. It's a lovely cat, well drawn. But I'm not sure if it's black? I think you concentrated on the hair where I would have concentrated on the highlights. In black hair, I find they're more important. So... how to convert one to the other? :?

Well, I think you've made a good start with your update. The hair above the right-hand eye is now looking like dark hair with bright highlights. However, I can't help feel that using "Prismacolor Ebony Jet Black Extra smooth pencil" for the pupils wasn't a good choice, because it sets a value of black that the hair can't compete with. So, the hair is always going to look lighter.

But, you've almost certainly captured the cat's character. So your client is going to recognise "Timmy", even if Timmy was darker.
Not sure if I like the way the mane looks. Also, not sure about how I cut the picture, with a bit more fur under the mane with that odd curved finish. Thought?
I think the mane is looking OK. It's not competing for attention, and it's solidly rounded. I don't think we need to know more than that.

And that "odd curved finish"? Personally, I think it's distractingly odd. And unbalanced. More importantly, you've created two sharp arrows pointing out of the picture plane. That edge would benefit from being faded out. And then, if you can, fade those points even more.
2) The light source is coming from the left... My biggest area of concern is around the mouth and where the whiskers will be coming out. When I make it darker, it fades away. Suggestions?
Hmmmmm... only that letting it fade away might be OK. If you're darkening the cat, I expect you'll reach a point where it would naturally be a bit lost on the dark side. So, maybe fading away is what we'd expect?

And then... I began to wonder what it looks like with the background returned to white? It's a bit of a hatchet job, but I hope it's at least closer to your original? I had to guess the values inside the ears.
KATHY-cat-1-NoBG.jpg
Now it's looking more black - apart from the pupils telling us it isn't, of course. Now I'm wondering if it can be darkened without losing the detail...
KATHY-cat-2-dark.jpg
I only altered the mid-values, not the darks. (Gamma in Affinity Photo, and not the Blacks). And I think it's definitely looking like a black cat now.

And, of course, I'm feeling compelled to try fading out that lower edge...
KATHY-cat-3-faded.jpg
I'm not suggesting this is the answer, or even preferable... but I do think it looks more balanced. I did this in three stages, and kept removing the lower portion until I felt the balance had returned.

Now, I feel it's pointing down, but not out of the frame, while helping to centre the viewer's eye, and add some bottom weight. And that the irregular edge adds a more natural look.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Hi Mike,
Thank you so much for your helpful and detailed feedback. I have continued to work on the cat portrait and did spray it a couple of times. It has gotten quite black now. Unfortunately, to have the attached photo match the black of the artwork, I had to darken it on my phone and that took the white of the paper away. However, holding it up against the artwork, it does match the value. I also reworked the highlights.
MIKE WROTE: However, I can't help feel that using "Prismacolor Ebony Jet Black Extra smooth pencil" for the pupils wasn't a good choice, because it sets a value of black that the hair can't compete with. So, the hair is always going to look lighter.
That's a wonderful point about the Prismacolor Ebony Jet Black. I used it because the pupil is the darkest black on the cat. Although I keep calling this a black cat, she has brown and reddish mane and some of that in her hair, but mostly black. (All her babies were Torties).
MIKE WROTE: And that "odd curved finish"? Personally, I think it's distractingly odd. And unbalanced. More importantly, you've created two sharp arrows pointing out of the picture plane. That edge would benefit from being faded out. And then, if you can, fade those points even more.
Great point about arrows! So I curved the edges, so there aren't arrows pointing out, and also softened the edge (so ragged instead of straight). Although it's still different, I think I prefer this portrait style to just having the mane and none of the fur under it. Hopefully the changes I made make it more balanced. I can see how your rendition does have balance.

I haven't done a portrait like this and think I will return to the animal being fully or partially in the drawing instead of a floating head/chest. I really miss working more on the composition,

Thanks again.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm going to have to be brief because I'm just closing down the studio for tonight.

NOW it's black! And you've maintained all the three-dimensionality and features.

Removing those "arrows" has worked well. And just softening that bottom edge has made a HUGE difference.

Your client is going to so chuffed to receive this! Is "chuffed" a UK thing? :roll: :? PLEASED! DELIGHTED! :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:23 pm Your client is going to so chuffed to receive this! Is "chuffed" a UK thing? :roll: :? PLEASED! DELIGHTED! :)
Thanks so much Mike. It is so much better! Really appreciated your input! I am looking forward to giving it to my client.
Thanks for explaining chuffed. It must be a UK thing.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Nicely done k! Mike's suggestions really helped resolve your issues - not that they were big ones to begin with! Just refinements to an already successful work.
I bet the client was stoked! (Oz slang for chuffed, pleased, over the moon)>

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

LindasPencils wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:39 am I bet the client was stoked! (Oz slang for chuffed, pleased, over the moon)>
Thanks so much Linda! The client loved the drawing and thought it really looked like her cat and captured her expression. Hooray! She was stoked! ( That slang I know! )

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I just went through the matter, and I find Mike's advise being (as always!) very precise and pin pointed!
You benefit not only having written suggestions, but furthermore, Mike provides the photo examples!
With all that in the hand I'm short with words how to compliment Mike's efforts enough regarding supporting artists...

I like your drawing a lot kwheller.
You doing your best to focus on every detail, and you well aware what you want to achieve, and you're looking for the best way to execute it.
It's already very impressive drawing to me.
Art.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*