Critique: HORSE HAIR

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Critique: HORSE HAIR

Post by Mike Sibley »

Our member TRACEY emailed me to ask for assistance with drawing a horse. I don't have Tracey's reference, so, with that in mind...

When you look at ANY of photo of any horse, you are aware of three-dimensional form rather than hair. BUT you still know it's hair. So, if your aim is a sense of realism - not realism itself, or "photorealism", just a feeling that it's real - then you need to represent the hair, however subtly.

This is my first (and, I hope, not last) attempt at critiquing via video. Although I'm currently working on three videos for the DWM collection, I don't mind taking a day off to make more of these videos. If you find it helpful, please feel free to ask for a critique or assistance, and I'll put a short video together to help you.

Well, SUCCESS! I've finally managed to add VIDEO to the forum!!!! :D :o
Click the icon in the video for full-screen viewing...

No video? Use this link: Critique: HORSE HAIR
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

MBfineart

Re: Critique: HORSE HAIR

Post by MBfineart »

That was fantastic!! :D

wayneCol

Post by wayneCol »

Mike
There is a huge difference between a technique's textual explanation and actually seeing the technique being performed. For visual learners it's the difference between understanding and not getting it at all. The addition of video to the FORUM is, as someone already pointed out, FANTASTIC! Thanks for your hard work!

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

Video lessons. What a great addition!! It is interesting hearing you "talk to yourself" as a tool to help with your process. It is really helpful to see that the way you work really isn't so different than the way I work. Much better results than mine, but it is encouraging to realize the essential technique is the same. And Hettie at the end! She is absolutely adorable! What a great drawing buddy.

moseling

Post by moseling »

Thank you so much for taking the time to help with this. I am keen to practice what you demonstrated. I will hopefully be able to post an improved version!
I love your cocker spaniel- I have three 😊
Best regards Tracey

Renate

Post by Renate »

hello Mike
What a wonderful idea. I love watching you draw . I always find this, and your many valuable tips and suggestions on how to make even difficult tasks easier, very valuable to me. I will gladly use your help when I don't know the easiest way to get a good result. But I also always appreciate your honest criticism. Thank you for taking this time for us Mike.
Many greetings Renate

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

MBfineart wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:33 pm That was fantastic!! :D
Marie, THANK YOU! This was so far out of my usual comfort zone that I decided to just make it in a day to see what might happen. And I'm pleasantly surprised with the result. To the point where I'll happily make many more.
wayneCol wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:07 pm There is a huge difference between a technique's textual explanation and actually seeing the technique being performed. For visual learners, it's the difference between understanding and not getting it at all.
I agree! This is something I've had in mind for a long time, but never quite sorted out the mechanics in my mind. As I just said, I am quite happy to make more... but I need the requests to generate them. Just saying.... :)
Shmush wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:27 am Video lessons. What a great addition!! It is interesting hearing you "talk to yourself" as a tool to help with your process...
That "talking to myself"... I do that a lot, if only mentally, but it's also the biggest problem I have when making videos. - and why I now work from scripts (but not in this video). You wouldn't believe the HUGE PAUSES that I edited out! :roll: I simply cannot draw, think, and talk at the same time.
moseling wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:44 am Thank you so much for taking the time to help with this. I am keen to practice what you demonstrated. I will hopefully be able to post an improved version!
First, many thanks for the request, Tracey, and for finally pushing me into the 21st century! :) Essentially, I'm suggesting you use short hair-like lines to create the form. That way the form predominates, and the lines subtly suggest hair. If you do attempt an improved version, I'd be delighted to see it. And you can post it in stages to the forum, if you think that might help.
I love your cocker spaniel- I have three ??
You have THREE?! Crikey! One Hettie is more than enough. :) We've only had her for two months, and she already rules the household - including Mia, our GSD. Mia treats her as her puppy, with lots of face washes. We've had many breeds over the years - from Yorkies, Pomeranians and Italian Greyhounds to GSDs, Parson Russell Terriers and Borzois - but never a spaniel. We didn't know what we were missing, and love her to bits.
Renate wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:24 am What a wonderful idea. I love watching you draw. I always find this, and your many valuable tips and suggestions on how to make even difficult tasks easier, very valuable to me. I will gladly use your help when I don't know the easiest way to get a good result.
Please DO use my help, Renate - especially if it helps to generate another video. And that can be a critique of a piece of work, or simply an answer to a general question about drawing.

I'm really relying on everyone to request video help. Yesterday, I built a new gallery for the VIDEO side of DWM - a collection of videos that appear in the forum posts. Which means it currently has ONE!

So now you can view videos within posts, or watch all of them (one :roll:) in one place, and click through to any post that video appeared in.

Which means, without requests from you... I'm going to have an almost empty gallery and be very embarrassed! :oops: :D
Mike Sibley

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Excellent! Thank you Mike. This is very helpful. Clear and concise explanation. I enjoyed watching this and hope for more from you.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:04 pm Excellent! Thank you, Mike. This is very helpful. Clear and concise explanation. I enjoyed watching this and hope for more from you.
And I hope there will be more. But that depends on members submitting requests for advice.

So... It's over to you lot! :)

Just saying.... ;)
Mike Sibley