Neurographic Art

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Shmush

Neurographic Art

Post by Shmush »

I used this picture as a background for a card given to a fellow artist. She had foot surgery, hence the included foot detail 😊. For those who don’t know, this style of art is called Neurographic art. It is the brain child of the Russian Pavel Pikarev, year 2014. He created it as a way to work with the subconscious through drawing. There are various thoughts on how this works and how it is applied. Some use it as a form of therapy, others have modified and adapted it to their artistic style. It looks very intricate, but it can actually be easy (even if you aren’t artistic) and relaxing. Roughly it is simply just drawing freeform lines on your paper. Once drawn find all places where lines cross over forming corners, round off each and every corner, then fill in the rounded sections with the same color as the lines. Add your choice of color(s) to each section, possibly add highlights and shadows and even more lines if desired. Use your choice of medium for coloring. For more information search YouTube for “Neurographic Art”.
foot nerographic003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Neurographic Art

Post by Mike Sibley »

This is both fascinating and reminding me of something we used to do in school - Scribblegrams.

I'll tell you about Scribblegrams in one of the next three videos... I made the huge mistake of working on three videos at the same time - hence the long delay. I'm really not built for that. I'm a "one project at a time" person.

Briefly, Scribblegrams involved one student scribbling with chalk on the board. And then the rest of us attempted to make visual sense of it. The variety of recognisable objects that appeared was really surprising.

And I'm guessing your Neurographic art involves the same thinking.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

Mike Sibley wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:57 am Scribblegrams involved one student scribbling with chalk on the board. And then the rest of us attempted to make visual sense of it. The variety of recognisable objects that appeared was really surprising.
I too would guess it is a similar type thinking. I don't remember doing it in school, but a cousin of mine also mentioned having done the freeform drawing in school. Attempting to discover recognizable objects is an interesting addition. And since it has been previously done we are once again reminded "there is nothing new under the sun."

(and you can get a hint of where you live, Mike, and where I live by looking at our spelling of recognisable/recognizable) :)

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’ve never heard of this before, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I used to play a game with my nieces when they were little where one person starts a drawing with a random squiggle and each subsequent person adds just one stroke until an image appears. It’s fun to see how each one of us « sees » something different in a simple squiggle.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I think all variations of this idea really help to generate visual thinking.

I'm making three videos at present. The one I'm currently stalled on is "GETTING STARTED WITH DRAWING" for pure beginners. The Scribblegram I mentioned is mentioned in that. There's a "part 2" being planned too.

And, although off-topic, another is on "Adjusting Photos", and the third is "Drawing Weeds and Grass".
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Sounds like you have a full plate Mike! As usual, lol! Weeds and grasses still frustrate me. They often come out looking like fur so I’ll be looking forward to that.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:26 am Weeds and grasses still frustrate me. They often come out looking like fur, so I’ll be looking forward to that.
Grass is so much like drawing hair that you can't go wrong. ;) I think I finished writing the script today, and I have at least half of the graphics made. It's a long, hard slog, but I'm getting there.
Mike Sibley

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Very effective Shmush. I often use similar freeform scribble techniques in first classes to 'warm' up the students and get the brain loose. Plus it is fun!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I have never heard of Neurographic at all...
Actually I could have easily imagine myself or anybody really, playing with free form sketching (sort off) on the paper, and seeking the outcome to create an interesting form, shape or anything...
It is so intriguing how the mind can express itself by making free motions through the arm...
Thank you for share Shmush 😊
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*