Wallaby WIP

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Picasso2

Wallaby WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

This is actually more a question of composition. This young wallaby is peeking out from behind a tree and my original plan was to draw the tree in front of him. However, having progressed with the wallaby, I am now in a dilemma as to what to do about the tree. If I put it in, I'm afraid it may detract from the main subject, which is the wallaby. On the other hand if I leave it out does the work look unfinished and if so what would be needed? Either way, I would be interested in people's thoughts and also any suggestions as what more needs to be done to finish the wallaby. I have attached the photo from which I've been working to put all this in context.
Thanks
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Wallaby WIP

Post by Mike Sibley »

Jean, I think this is utterly delightful just as it is.

It's very nicely balanced - to the point that inclusion of the rocks would minimise the little wallaby's importance. That blank space is all that's needed; it perfectly balances the painted half; and knowing what that space contained tell us nothing we need to know.

The same applies to the tree. What would it add to your story. I believe it would add nothing - except a degree of confusion.

This is a lovely portrait of a lovely young wallaby, and it really doesn't need anything else at all.

Just my opinion. Other opinions are available. :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks so much for that, Mike. I really didn't want to put that tree in, as I couldn't see how it would work, so I'm very pleased to have your opinion!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Well, the acid test for me is... Will including it add to the story I'm telling?

In this case, I'm not sure if the lower right is rock or tree bark, so that's not going to tell anyone more about the Wallaby's environment. And neither will the tree, nor any part of it.

For example, if you were drawing a Wildebeest in a sandy setting, a lone tree in the midground or background might describe and emphasise the vastness of the landscape. Where a foreground tree simply won't. Its inclusion would add nothing.

When you're working from reference photos, always take what you can use, discard anything that has no immediate connection to the subject, and alter anything that doesn't but could assist understanding.

And never feel compelled to include something "because it's in the photo". :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

What a lovely portrait!! As always, Mike’s analysis is spot on. I agree that nothing more is needed in this case. By softly fading out the body in the lower right corner, our attention is automatically focused on that pretty face and those lovely eyes.

The only thing I would add is that in my opinion, successful portraits are never easy. The underlying drawing has to be very well rendered because there are no other elements in the composition to distract us. You nailed it here Jean!

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Very useful information to keep in mind for future drawings, Mike. Also, thanks so much for your nice comments Laurene and glad that you agree with Mike!

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

Very eye catching just the way it is!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's another very nice drawing showing the beauty of the animal this time...
You have good eye capturing subjects.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*