Maverick the Airedale

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
leeds1

Maverick the Airedale

Post by leeds1 »

My latest drawing is of an Airedale Terrier. My niece decided to dress him up for the occasion! I know I need to darken the darks especially in the eyes, nose and neck fur below the neckerchief, but I wanted to solicit feedback first to see if there are comments that I can easily incorporate before applying the fixative and deepening the darks.
DAVID-Maverick-Airedale.png
Details of what I used as follows:
Fabriano 1264 Bristol Smooth paper 100lb/270gsm
Staedtler lead holders 2B, HB and 2H (first time I have used lead holders and was very pleased with the consistent results and the sharp points they achieve!)
Blue Tack (I’m sold!)

I stayed away from using any kind of stick eraser for highlights and tried the negative drawing/space techniques outlined in the videos and….
I used very minimal blending, only on the very outer fur areas in the blurry areas on the sides of the body and to help smooth out the plastic sunglass rims.
I will say this took me probably a combined 30-40 hours to produce

Looking forward to review and comments that anyone might have!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Maverick the Airedale

Post by Laurene »

This is a wonderful composition! So playful and cheeky, I can’t stop smiling!!

My only comment is that I think I would have a second look at the nose. It may just be me, but the nostrils don’t seem quite balanced to me.

If one of the purposes of drawing is to communicate emotion, and I believe it is, then you’ve succeeded wonderfully. This evokes pure joy!

leeds1

Post by leeds1 »

Thanks Laurene! I’ll try to adjust the nostrils

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Heck, I'm getting old! :roll: I thought I'd posted this a couple of days ago, but I just found it in NoteTab Pro, for which I apologise.

As Laurene suggested, the nose has a fault. The left-hand nostril looks OK, but the left-hand one is facing to our left. At first, I thought the nose was twisted to the side, as dogs sometimes do, but that doesn't make sense of the right-hand nostril.

Also, both nostrils have highlights at the top. That's OK, except... one is lit from the left and the other from the right. Again, I'd accept the right-hand one as being correct. Then reposition the left-hand one and light it from the right.

Well, now that I look at it again, I'm not sure either nostril is correct. The septum is unnaturally wide, so they're certainly too far apart.

I also keep wanting see a hint of eyes, but I think they're positioned behind the tops of the frame. But, that said, I love the humour of the heart-shaped sunglasses. And the bandana - and the contrast between the uncluttered bandana and the complex mass of hair above. One really emphasises the other.

I'd fix the nose, but otherwise I think he's utterly delightful! :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net