Some old graphite drawings

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
JulianC

Some old graphite drawings

Post by JulianC »

Resize_20230322_201901_1998.jpg
Resize_20230322_202943_3956.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JulianC

Re: Some old graphite drawings

Post by JulianC »

Pedro, my Basset drawn almost 30 years ago.
'After The Harvest'. A recent drawing.
And 'Sea Bass'. Sebastien Chabal

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I remember Pedro the Basset from 25+ years ago, when you sent me a copy. I also remember being shocked when I saw it.

Imagine being introduced by someone to their daughter... and realising she's the split-image of your own. The same techniques used. An alarmingly similar creation. Scary! :shock: :oops: :roll:

Then the more modern landscape shows that your style has loosened, as mine did too, over time. I think you begin to realise that sharpness of detail is important, but only where it's appropriate. Here, the detail of the face of the round bale pulls it right into the foreground, so everything else recedes. If you change the river to a beck (stream) and plaster the White Horse of Kilburn on the hills, this could almost be the view behind my studio.

It's a super drawing and drags me right into it. Then I bounce back to take a much slower journey through it, and there is so much to discover.

I'm guessing 'Sea Bass' is about the half-way mark? You had by now, as I stated earlier, discovered the art of softening detail where detail isn't required. Such as the soft seam on his shoulder that pushes the much sharper face forwards. I love the beard too, but that's a post for another day :)

Thanks for letting us see these. You might consider posting them in the Graphite gallery forum too?

And to see more of Julian's masterful works: JulianCourtDrawing.com
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Oh my, your work is masterful! Each one of these holds my attention for different reasons. The technique is stunning, but more to the point is the fact that each one evokes such strong emotions. Thank you for sharing with us! I’m surprised that I haven’t seen your work before. I’m certainly very happy to be able to see it now.