Buster RIP

Your latest work is in print? You have an upcoming workshop? Your cat's had kittens... Tell us YOUR NEWS!
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Buster RIP

Post by Mike Sibley »

I had to take Buster, my Parson Russell Terrier, to the vets an hour ago to have him put to sleep. They were very kind, and he died in my arms while I made a fuss of him.

I've known for a month or two that he wouldn't make his 17th birthday - but he was close. This morning something switched off in his brain and his bad days/good days turned into one bad day.

Being blind and partially deaf never bothered him, but today he had no idea where he was, where he was going, or why - and he stopped eating, which not something Buster ever refused to do.

He was born in our kitchen almost 17 years ago. His mum, dad, and all his brothers and sisters died some years ago. I'm going to miss the old chap. Especially, because he lived under my desk in my office - and, if you've been to a workshop here, you no doubt met him. He's in a better place now, and I'll bury him alongside his mother tomorrow morning.
Buster.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

wayneCol

Re: Buster RIP

Post by wayneCol »

Mike
Sorry to hear the sad news about Buster. I remember a drawing exercise that featured him looking out of the grass from under a fence. And I knew how close you and Buster were from our chat one night in Ottawa over Chinese food.
My condolences

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Oh boy, I almost never cry but this struck home with me. I never met Buster but he became familiar to me through your artwork. You and Jenny spoke so fondly of him when you were in Ottawa. He found such a good home with you both. I know that his memories will bring you comfort

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

wayneCol wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:04 pm I remember a drawing exercise that featured him looking out of the grass from under a fence. And I knew how close you and Buster were from our chat one night in Ottawa over Chinese food.
Thanks, Wayne. That brings back memories - very fond ones with the latter. And, yes, I did use Buster in an early comp for workshops. The very first one ever, in fact, and subsequently at early ones. What was I thinking! :oops: :roll:
Buster_COMP3-8x6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Thank you, Laurene. I keep turning round this morning to speak to him. And last night felt weird, as I locked the studio at 10:30pm when I'd finished work. Usually, I'd go back at half past midnight for Buster to relieve himself before bed.

I buried him about an hour ago, close to his mum and dad, and Inka, our previous German Shepherd.

Sincere apologies for making you cry. I probably shouldn't have posted anything, but I just felt the need to unload my feelings somewhere. He was never an overly affectionate dog - a very macho "champion rat hunter" ;) - but the two of us were the best of mates.
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Ah, no worries Mike. I think you touched a lot of us who have lost animals we were close to. It’s especially painful when they’ve been with us for so long. Still, as sad as it is, we would do it all over again given a chance. They bring so much into our lives. They become part of our families.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

My condolences, Mike. It is very difficult to lose one of our furred friends, they are with us for only a short time. Even one as long lived as Buster, it still isn't enough time.
May Buster forever chase rats and run free in Dog's Paradise.
RIP Buster.jpg