Sneak Peek

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Sneak Peek

Post by LindasPencils »

I have been head down and tail up for a few months now as I foolishly committed myself to not one, but two solos plus a joint exhibition this year. Definitely need to be committed in one way or another! As well, I have also started doing small format sculptures in paperclay and wire and found objects. Just because I don't have enough to do already. :mrgreen:
So I am back at Blarney Books and Art in Port Fairy come April, and have chosen to do illustrations from selected works by Alan Garner. I have only just discovered Garner's works last year with his last novel 'Treacle Walker', and have been ploughing my way through his cannon of delightfully fantastical works.
This work is a Palug from the book 'The Moon of Gomrath'. Palug are based on the legends of the Welsh wild cats. Mean and angry, they claw their way through the story.
Reference material was from a variety of sources; A crouching/slinking tiger, snarling tabby cat face, slinking house cat, Welsh wild cat images for fur color, etc, all melded together into a single beastie. I tried to make him as nasty as possible, exagerating things like the claws, length of tail and body, size of teeth and such.
I have used a Lana Hot Press 300gsm paper which has a smooth but soft surface as I started with some very light Graphitint washes in Indigo and Chestnut pencils. Over the top of this base layer of light tone is dry drawing in 2H, HB, F, 2B, 4B and gold ochre & blue pencils (all Staedtler). In this work I did not include much background, unlike the other works in the series, because I decided I just wanted scratch lines to indicate the cat tearing at the drawing paper.
This is the 8th work in the series of what will be 10 drawings and 4 masks.
Note that this is a phone image so has some lighting and color issues.
Palug.jpg
you lot are the first to see it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Sneak Peek

Post by PogArtTi »

Now I see you are very well yourself, otherwise how could you manage to be a single artist doing job of 10 !? ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š
It's good to know your absence in here was only because you're too busy ๐Ÿ‘
Welsh wild cats legends you say!?
Wow, I haven't heard of it, so interesting!
I'm sort of always been interested in sculpture, but never have tried anything really.
Maybe it's not too late ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
And obviously I do adore your shared cat drawing a lot!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Maybe it's not too late
Never too late Pogs! I have been playing with Air Dried Clays: Staedtler FIMO Air doesn't need a kiln, nor even your oven. Great for small projects. My masks have been done using Paper Magiclay (Australian product, it is a smooth paper mache), and I have also been using wire - see my post over on the Color Pencil page before Mike deletes it...! [No chance of that happening!! ED]

Using air dry clay or Magiclay you don't need a lot of materials and can make do with what you have around the house - dinner knife, knitting needles, pointy end of brushes, the rolling pin or drink glass, ect. You can paint it up with your standard acrylic paints, and use a dedicated varnish or just a spray fixative if you like. Many good videos online to show you how to get started and you are only limited by your imagination!

and yes, it has been a busy few months and I don't see it easing off anytime soon - especially as I hope to travel sometime this year as well ... all being good.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thanks a lot!
I didn't think of YouTube tutorials at all (why?!) ๐Ÿ™‰
I will move my ar(๐Ÿ™Š) up, and will try to learn something about it, then I may give it a go!
Thank you Linda ๐Ÿ˜‰
And I'm happy for you, because being busy artist is a wish for lot, that struggle ๐Ÿ˜‰
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

If you want to be inspired, check out Robin Wight https://fantasywire.co.uk/ He is local to you (as in, he is in the UK, not Australia so you have a better chance of seeing his work in real life than I do!)
His works are amazing and brilliant and well beyond anything I can create - but inspiring all the same. Sadly, his work has been copied and his works scammed. I know they say imitation is flattery, but it a real shame that he has been targeted this way... have a look at his website and see his brilliance that cannot be imitated.
He is a darn good pencil artist as well!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you !!!
I'm heading there !!!
I will focus on him for sure ๐Ÿ˜Š
Thanks a lot again, I mean it dear friend ๐Ÿ‘

JayS

Post by JayS »

Linda, I'm really impressed with the perspective in this drawing. There is real power in the foreground. Relly beautiful!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Ooooo I wouldnโ€™t want to meet your beastie in a dark forest! I love the way youโ€™ve made him lean and bony. It tells me that heโ€™s desperate for a meal and so that much more dangerous! Itโ€™s wonderful to see your artwork again Linda.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

There is something so wonderfully powerful about this that I can't put my finger on.

Not that I'd want to put my finger on it, for fear of losing it. :roll: :)

It's being so skilfully bottom heavy that I find terrifying. It gives a solid, three-dimensional feeling... as though it's heading for me - but hasn't noticed I'm here yet.

Wonderful. There's no other word to describe it.

Oh, apologies for the late response. Burning midnight oil, completing the next video. Have the final demo to film and edit in today. Then one more HAIR video to come, because I cut the end off this one to make it less than an hour long.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you Jay, Laurene and Mike. I think this work is the best of the series so far. But I still have 2 more to complete, so who knows how they will go!
Take care Mike, don't drive yourself too hard and end up with another migraine.