The Eyes have it

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
DanielG

The Eyes have it

Post by DanielG »

This is my first attempt at drawing a human eye. I had to try something new to draw. cylinders and wood planks were getting old. Let me know what you think.

Reference image included; however, I only used it as a rough reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Garwood

A Plane that comes down faster then it goes up has absolutely no resale value! - Zig Zigler

PogArtTi

Re: The Eyes have it

Post by PogArtTi »

Another great study Dan.
You need to change subject sometimes, just simply to relax your mind.
It will help if you try loose blending of nothing on the paper...
Take your pencil, start making shadows, patches of random shapes..., darker & lighter spots... follow that game, and see what it may make?
I mean - when you observing the clouds above your head, their unique shapes making some illusion of being a horse head, or an air plane, or bearded face...
Try to relax on the paper this way?

The eye it's very complicated object to draw to me.
It has its definition, shapes, and design not so easy to copy...
I bet instead of giving you relax, it could give you a sweaty moments too ;)

If you like my few words, try to shade/blend the eye with side(edge) of the pencil lead rather, then use eraser to pop up highlights within, than using its point, it may help you discover relevant techniques?
These arrows around, single lines, and sharp edge of the entire of the eye doesn't look too natural, but as an abstract rather.
And I bet you are aiming for natural look of your drawing?
So just try to avoid those sharp marks I can see now, and make it more gentle, like liquid, like reflections on the glass rather...
I'm also wonder looking at the bottom eyelashes Dan.
What's the purpose of those little circles the single eyelash coming out of the skin - just wonder why did you make it look this way.
You see, the eye is very complicated object to deal with, it is not relaxing to me, but rather making me sweating buckets ;)
But you're doing right thing too!
You have to put yourself in a challenge too, and study of the eye is a good way to keep improving your skills for sure!
Well done Dan, and carry on!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm late as usual... sorry!

Artur's given you loads of good advice.

Warning! I'm going to be a little bit nit-picky :)

While I know these couple of points weren't part of your exercise, I think they're worth a mention. First, the iris of an eye is round (or elliptical if viewed from and angle) - but yours isn't. I agree it's only slightly warped, but everyone looking at it knows exactly what they expect an eye to look like. And that's perfectly round. And second, take a look at the tear duct end. I think you've drawn what you expected it to look like, but there's a definite drop at the base that's missing. Again, these things matter.

Your drawing is perfectly OK. Maybe the edge of the pupil isn't notched (possibly it curves in) but the striations within the iris look good. As does the reflection, although you've outlined it. That's something you should really try to avoid. Nothing in life has a line around it, so outline just says "this is a drawing" and damages the reality you're trying to depict.

Keep going and keep drawing. My migraines are down to a couple a day now, so I should be more on the ball very soon. At least, I sincerely hope so! :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:04 pm My migraines are down to a couple a day now, so I should be more on the ball very soon. At least, I sincerely hope so! :)
I have no idea of how destructive can your migraine be, but I'm thankful it is easing off Mike ...
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

JayS

Post by JayS »

Good work! Arthur and Mike have given you loads of good advice. I'm impressed with how much detail you put into the eye. You might want to think about eliminating some of the interior shading and letting the white of the paper work for you.

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

PogArt wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:37 am It will help if you try loose blending of nothing on the paper...
Take your pencil, start making shadows, patches of random shapes..., darker & lighter spots... follow that game, and see what it may make?
I mean - when you observing the clouds above your head, their unique shapes making some illusion of being a horse head, or an air plane, or bearded face...
Try to relax on the paper this way?
I like this idea. thank you for suggesting it. I will try it out.
The eye it's very complicated object to draw to me.
It has its definition, shapes, and design not so easy to copy...
I bet instead of giving you relax, it could give you a sweaty moments too ;)
yes it was rather stressful at times.

If you like my few words, try to shade/blend the eye with side(edge) of the pencil lead rather, then use eraser to pop up highlights within, than using its point, it may help you discover relevant techniques?
These arrows around, single lines, and sharp edge of the entire of the eye doesn't look too natural, but as an abstract rather.
And I bet you are aiming for natural look of your drawing?
yes I was trying to make it look natural.

What's the purpose of those little circles the single eyelash coming out of the skin - just wonder why did you make it look this way.
It was suppose to be the edge of the skin where the eyelash comes out. I think that was an epic fail on part.
Well done Dan, and carry on!
Thank you and I will
Dan Garwood

A Plane that comes down faster then it goes up has absolutely no resale value! - Zig Zigler

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

Mike Sibley wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:04 pm I'm late as usual... sorry!
Welcome and I hope your migraines are not interfering with things too much.

Warning! I'm going to be a little bit nit-picky :)
I don't want you holding back because I am new. I only learn from honesty and sincerity.

While I know these couple of points weren't part of your exercise, I think they're worth a mention. First, the iris of an eye is round (or elliptical if viewed from and angle) - but yours isn't. I agree it's only slightly warped, but everyone looking at it knows exactly what they expect an eye to look like. And that's perfectly round.
Yes I can see that the pupil is not perfectly round.

And second, take a look at the tear duct end. I think you've drawn what you expected it to look like, but there's a definite drop at the base that's missing. Again, these things matter.
I see what you are talking about with the tear duct. I do believe I did draw what I thought I saw instead of what was in the reference photo.
Your drawing is perfectly OK. Maybe the edge of the pupil isn't notched (possibly it curves in) but the striations within the iris look good. As does the reflection, although you've outlined it. That's something you should really try to avoid. Nothing in life has a line around it, so outline just says "this is a drawing" and damages the reality you're trying to depict.
You have told me about my outlining before. I guess I did that and never went back to fix it. I need to learn to slow down more and work on the drawing; instead of, trying to rush to complete it.

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I will take it and turn it into something worth drawing.
Dan Garwood

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

DanielG wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm It was suppose to be the edge of the skin where the eyelash comes out. I think that was an epic fail on part.
I know you mean now...
It does look like an oilutline, just circle made by tip of the pencil - I know you can see it Dan.
Avoid this.
Imagine - you did shade this area rather, and then with eraser you did remove the circle around that eyelash - the way you did with your outline circle...
Do it - try it now.
You will see, there won't be any line, any circle outline - you will achieve 3D curve instead, and it will be much more realistic I promise.
Don't do outlines, avoid making lines, shade the area rather, blend it, and create the 3D form by erazing, playning with the light and dark area this way.
You don't need to erase this much, instead you can simply shade it lighter or darker, depends of how the curve goes, do you know I mean?
Erazing can and will damage the tooth of the paper, and this will ruin your artwork.
Erazing is ok spontaneously, but try not to when working on something special to you.
If you just exercise and practise to bin your study afterwards - then you don't need to look after your paper tooth this much.

My advise - start shading, blending instead of making lines with your tip of the pencil, and this way build up more 3D looking curves.
There's nothing wrong using the tip!
Don't get me wrong please.
But use it wisely - please.
Use the tip to make desired texture, hash cross, or making circles, or eights marks, or straight strokes to cover up the area - Mike has many amazing tutorials of how to use the tip of the pencil!
Be careful when erazing - it's destructive to the paper tooth, and if you damage your paper, the whole drawing will be ruined, you rather can't fix it...
Use the kneadable eraser - it's the only one you'll ever need - only the GENUINE ONE! - Mike will advice which one - I'm sorry I did forget the original brand...
There's many brands on sale, but they aren't the same...
Please ask Mike which brand to go for.
Keep practicing Dan ;)

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:11 pm Be careful when erasing - it's destructive to the paper tooth, and if you damage your paper, the whole drawing will be ruined, you rather can't fix it... Use the kneadable eraser - it's the only one you'll ever need - only the GENUINE ONE! - Mike will advise which one - I'm sorry I did forget the original brand...
BLU-TACK - and packs are on their way to Dan.

They should have reached him by now. Unless they got caught up in the latest Royal Mail problem. They got hacked and cannot currently export anything until all their data has been correctly restored.

Excellent "outline" Advice, Artur.

Apologies for this late post. I think my headache cluster is finally coming to an end, so I'm feverishly working to complete the next video.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:18 pm BLU-TACK - and packs are on their way to Dan.
They should have reached him by now.
WOW!!!
Awesome Mike ;)
Excellent "outline" Advice, Artur.
I was wonder whether you approve it Mike, or you may will support it with your thoughts to correct me if necessary ;)
It really means a lot to me, that you didn't have to add anything, or if you was keen and polite not to do so ;)
Thank you.
I think my headache cluster is finally coming to an end, so I'm feverishly working to complete the next video.
Why our lives are affected by such unpleasand conditions?!
I'm happy it does easy off Mike...