Another wolf

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
JayS

Re: Another wolf

Post by JayS »

If I can (can I JayS?) use your artwork as an example, I'd get rid of some trees that may disrupt the view.., and I would have focus onto important trees only, the ones that could frame the whole art rather, and the wolf.
This is a learning forum you certainly may use my artwork as an example. In that spirit I would add another thought...perhaps this is also what you are saying... the background should inherently point to and highlight the focal point of the art. The wolf. To me this is a building process where the introduction of one element leads to another. Wolf 2 in another post shows more of this process where every element has a specific purpose. Creating the entire composition is like a puzzle with, intentionally, some pieces missing. The artist has to create the pieces so that the whole thing fits together. After I try several different approaches, I sometimes come up with something that fits. But even this is a building process begging for improvement. Maybe 5 drawings later the concept clicks. An artist friend once told me to not be afraid to redo something that doesn't fit. She said rework when done immediately helps rewire the brain to a more profitable outcome.

I loved the dog story.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

JayS wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:39 pm ... the background should inherently point to and highlight the focal point of the art. The wolf.
So you know what to do, then just make it work for you ;)
To me this is a building process where the introduction of one element leads to another. Wolf 2 in another post shows more of this process where every element has a specific purpose. Creating the entire composition is like a puzzle
Exactly my friend, puzzles ;)
The artist has to create the pieces so that the whole thing fits together.
Straight to the point JayS!
That's right ;)
I loved the dog story.
Thanks !!!

You did ask earlier how to highlight the text to answer to it directly...
Check these screenshots I've just done for you ;)
So basically to highlight text you need to frame that part of text between [ quote ] and [/quote].
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:08 am We aren't making TV documentary series, so we don't have to copy it as it goes.
We're rather the creator, who's preparing the theatre event? So we can choose the features on the stage, and make them in order, for those people that will come to appreciate what we've done... You're the neighbour (viewer), and you're visiting your friend's house (the nature) just after their fight (natural day by day living process)...
Make them calm ;), Help them sort the mess in the living room, then safely walk in and enjoy the coffee they make for you - enjoy your art ;)
That post is........ without a shadow of a doubt........ the best description of the goals of composition that I've ever read!

I keep reading it again and again, and it simply makes so much fundamental sense.

Thanks, Artur!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

JayS wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:39 pm Creating the entire composition is like a puzzle with, intentionally, some pieces missing. The artist has to create the pieces so that the whole thing fits together.
I was teaching a young lady to draw at Drawspace recently, and it finally clicked. She said:
Your method is so great, this is my first try to do a dog, well part of the dog, I know I made a lot of mistakes, but had so much fun. Drawing is the building of a puzzle. I can not thank you enough.
And that's exactly the way I look at it. Drawing is a set of puzzles to solve from beginning to end.

How to tell your story to viewers of your work, using the references to hand mixed with imagination.

How can you adapt the references? What to include? What to omit? What to alter so it best tells your story?

How can you incorporate the subject into a setting that both describes its environment while adding further to the story?

How to create the background, so it doesn't vie with the foreground for attention? I must admit to using mist quite often, because it artificially (but with a natural feel) pushes the background further back.
173-Connemara-Encounter.jpg
So, drawing is not the art of copying....... It's the art of bending the truth to tell the story you want to tell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:16 pm That post is........ without a shadow of a doubt........ the best description of the goals of composition that I've ever read!
You have made my day Mike!
Thank you so much ;)
I keep reading it again and again, and it simply makes so much fundamental sense.
I AM THANKING YOU DEAR FRIEND ;)
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:40 pm
So, drawing is not the art of copying....... It's the art of bending the truth to tell the story you want to tell.
I must admit Mike, that this few words sentence is also getting straight to the point ;)
Bending!
This word makes a great difference when used by you in this definition.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Apologies for not contributing but I’m so enjoying the conversation going on in this post!!

JayS

Post by JayS »

Thinking about what we are doing creates change. Sometimes people discount the thought in favor of just doing.... I worry that what I post and the comments that follow are off putting for some. It makes me feel good to know that there is joy in the act of thinking. Thank you all for your contributions.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

JayS wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:13 pm I worry that what I post and the comments that follow are off-putting for some. It makes me feel good to know that there is joy in the act of thinking.
Thinking's good! :D I wouldn't worry, Jay. "Off-putting"? Possibly. But I think "disagreed with" is more likely.

There comes a time as you draw that you cease to be interested in technique, or your faithfulness to a reference. You reach a point where you sincerely want to say, "This is beautiful. And I really want to show you why".

Even seemingly ugly things contain their own beauty. And extracting and displaying that beauty is an art in itself.

So, I think some artists will read the discussions here at DWM and dismiss them, because they don't relate to the way they think or work. And that's fine. Just as it should be.

But in others it might awaken a fresh way of looking at their own work. And I think that is equally fine.

And there's possibly a third group who read but don't understand - yet. But a day might arrive where it "clicks" and that remembered discussion suddenly makes sense.

And all three groups, in my opinion, produce equally valid artwork. They just, individually, appeal to different audiences.

That said, I sometimes worry about comments I make too. I prefer to be honest, because there's little worth in gratuitous praise. But I know I sometimes mention something that's aimed at the overall membership, and not just the work I'm critiquing.

I try to be careful with my wording, but - yes - it does sometimes concern me that others might find a comment or suggestion "off-putting", or as being "unattainable".

And that is as far from my intention as it could possibly be.

Ultimately, every artist produces the best work they can do at that time.

For example, I have artists attend my physical workshops. And the only difference between those artists and me is that I have 30–40 years more experience. But, equally, I see work that I absolutely drool over, and really cannot ever see myself achieving that standard. We're all artists; but we don't necessarily share the same goals.
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Mike Sibley wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:17 pm
There comes a time as you draw that you cease to be interested in technique, or your faithfulness to a reference. You reach a point where you sincerely want to say, "This is beautiful. And I really want to show you why".

Even seemingly ugly things contain their own beauty. And extracting and displaying that beauty is an art in itself.
You just put into words exactly how I feel about drawing Mike!! I think that a sparrow is just as fascinating as a bald eagle! There’s something hypnotizing about the smallest creature as well as a humpback whale, for example. Yes, I want everyone to see how beautiful they are, but I admit that selfishly, I enjoy drawing them because it’s an excuse to study them more closely.

I think that’s the reason that I never bothered about how much time it takes to complete a painting. It’s like reading a really good book. You want to know how it ends but you don’t really ever want it to end. Or maybe that’s just me …. :lol: