Claybord experiment [No.3]

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Claybord experiment [No.3]

Post by PogArtTi »

Yes, I know! ;)
I said - no more claybord, I'm done...
Well, I just have proven I'm a liar ;)
I'm missing the smoothness of the Claybord...
Therefore I decided to give it a chance for third time.
I've chosen to prime it with Non Absorbent Acrylic Primer.
I've applied two fine layers by the brush, and even though the surface has achieved some texture created by the gesso, it's still satisfying my likeness.
I have positive experience with gesso primer so far.
This is how I did prime the paper for my very first study paintings (Jack the dog, and the Soldier).
If gesso primer did work well on the paper, then why not on claybord?
This is the task for me for New Year ;)
What the subject?
Most probably some animal, just haven't decided which one yet.
HAPPY NEW 2023 YEAR dear friends ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: Claybord experiment [No.3]

Post by PogArtTi »

I got frustrated while trying sketch out outlines today.
I'm practicing the "thumb&pencil" method, I quite like to learn it, but in real life it gets me very off.
My hand isn't precisely stable while holding at a front of me, and it seems, that the further I go, the more error is builded up...
I have tried 3 times to apply corrections, but I felt it's taking me nowhere.
I decided to use my tool - proportional divider.
In "no time" I did sketch outlines, that I'm happy with.
Can anybody help me to find out what species it is please?
This is first time I'm attempting to paint this bird, and just realised I have picture with no name of the bird...
Could it be the Warbling white-eye?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Warbling white-eye life spam is 5 years.
It is little bird, weights just up to 13gram, and its length is around 11cm.
Population size is unknown.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

The warbling white-eye (Zosterops japonicus ), is also known as the Japanese white-eye and mountain white-eye.
It is a small *passerine bird in the white-eye family. The specific epithet is occasionally written japonica, but this is incorrect due to the gender of the genus.

[*passerine is any bird of the order Passeriformes-from Latin passer 'sparrow' and formis '-shaped', which includes more than half of all bird species.]

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:55 pm I'm practising the "thumb&pencil" method, I quite like to learn it, but in real life it gets me very off.
Sight-sizing? I find it very useful on the rare occasions that I sketch out in Nature. And I used it at college in life drawing glasses. Once you get used to it, it's possible to be fairly accurate.
but I felt it's taking me nowhere. I decided to use my tool - proportional divider.
In this instance, I can see why that produced more accurate results. Although it shares many features with sight-sizing, it is at least constant in its measurement
Could it be the Warbling white-eye?
I've no idea... but obviously someone else has. :D But I do know I really like what you've done so far. Especially the logical sense you've made out the feet.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:37 pm Sight-sizing?
Once you get used to it, it's possible to be fairly accurate.
Yes, sight-sizing ;)
In my case it isn't too accurate, as my streatched out arm isn't stable still, therefore the measurement is getting errors ;)
Roughly I can use it, but not for face features or such ...
I know I can use it even for such detailed outlines, but the measurement would have to be taken exactly from the reference - while touching the screen or photo - not from distance ;)
Proportional divider is giving me very accurate match, because I'm taking these measures from the screen, and I'm zooming in the reference on the screen 1:1 scale too.
I know I don't need to, but I can easily see of how much space the subject will occupy on the board ;)

*Its native range
includes much of East Asia, including the Russian Far East, Japan, Indonesia, Korea, and the Philippines. It has been intentionally introduced to other parts of the world as a pet and as pest control, with mixed results. As one of the native species of the Japanese islands, it has been depicted in Japanese art on numerous occasions, and historically was kept as a cage bird.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Happy New Year Artur! Ok, you’ve got my attention. I’m going to love following this! Great subject!! Sorry, I can’t help identify because it doesn’t look like anything we have in Canada, but it looks like you’ve identified it now. I’m enjoying the information you’re sharing about its habitat and biology.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:35 pm Happy New Year Artur!
Happy 2023 to you Laurene as well ;)
Thank you ;)
Ok, you’ve got my attention.
Great !!!
I’m enjoying the information you’re sharing about its habitat and biology.
I'm always trying whenever I do wildlife - you welcome!

Just been working on background, to change the random patches to something more likeable, to establish the chaotic look ;)
The first work on it was only to fill up the space with random colours I've had left over.
It's time to direct those patches to be more related to each other ;)

Warbling white-eye is olive green on its back, from anterior to posterior, and is pale green on its underside. Its feet, legs, and bill range from black to brown.
It has a green forehead and a yellow throat. The white-eye has rounded wings and a long, slender bill – both of which indicate this bird to be very acrobatic.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's maybe not much you might enjoy, but it's on my mind since latest update...
The lighting in my studio.
For long time I was struggling to place the light bulbs the way I like, just couldn't work it out...
The oils were reflecting any light source so it forced me to put the lights on the wall straight above the painting.
This causes issue.
Imagine side of the bricks wall of your house, and place the wall light there, immediately you will see sharp shadows made by these bricks, and you will have deep shadow below the brick, but very harsh strong highlights on the upper ...
I did avoid reflection on the surface, but I didn't avoid the flaws it caused ;)
I kind off got used to it??
But I knew I need to fix the issue, as the bottom of my painting was in shadow, where the upper half was lighted up more, as I've mentioned on the bricks wall example...
Two days ago I started hit or miss game again to set the light ;)
It didn't take me long, because I've had an idea at what direction the light should hit the painting board.

I'm sorry I did write this much to explain what I was dealing with, but now I can get to the final point ;)

Since I started oils, the crucial thing is to be able match the colours.
The light is very important feature in here.
Make the light lighter, or stronger, warmer or cooler and you will see how it's affecting the way you see your mixed colours!
Even now I'm not so sure whether it is the final setup, or I may change the direction of the light in future.
I need some time to find out the pros and cons of the present ;)

So I can see colours more prominent now.
The light hits equally same my wooden palette and the painting board - I just have noticed, that what I mix onto palette looks very same on the painting!
AT LAST I'm on right track, lol ;)
Before my mixed colours did appear darker on the painting, making me as twice much busy correcting ;)
This new direction of the light source did brighten up my studio space even more, it's a bit confusing, because these bulbs are exactly same, lol, but now they are above where I'm standing...
In brighter light at this new angle, I can see clearer the painted areas, I'm aware now of these tinny missed spots, lol !
Also I can clearer see the value, hue shifts!
I didn't before, well not as prominent!

I'm a bit awed now.
Just minor change of the light direction, but so much of crucial improvement on the painting process!

Thank you for reading it through ;)

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Warbling white-eye...
These birds live in forests, open woodland, thickets, and shrubland. Thye can also be found in groves, gardens, plantations, and city parks.