Cat WIP

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
DanielG

Cat WIP

Post by DanielG »

This is a cat I just started. I’m trying to figure out how to get the bridge of the nose to look more 3D. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Garwood

A Plane that comes down faster then it goes up has absolutely no resale value! - Zig Zigler

Laurene

Re: Cat WIP

Post by Laurene »

Hi Daniel. You’re off to a good start because you’re observing and respecting the direction of hair growth. I think that may be the most important factor when drawing a close up portrait like this.

There’s a change in direction of hair growth on a cat’s nose. Try to zoom in on your reference, or better yet, if you have a cat get close to see what is happening there. You can’t draw it if you don’t understand it, is the usual rule.

It’s a little complex but once you get it it’s easy to understand. Don’t stress over every detail, but you can use the image below as a guide. The reference is from Pixabay.

Basically, the hair changes direction at the bridge of the nose. The top part flows into the hair on the forehead. The bottom part has such short hair that it can be depicted almost as elongated dots.

I hope I didn’t make it more difficult for you! Really, this isn’t the most important part of your portrait anyway! Just try to pay attention to the general direction of hair growth and where it changes direction. Looking forward to updates!
D23989F8-CEB4-4B1F-BBC6-054C1E695A4A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

DanielG wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:29 pm I’m trying to figure out how to get the bridge of the nose to look more 3D.
I’m trying to figure out how to get the bridge of the nose to look more 3D.
OK... first, the fact that you realise it should be three-dimensional has overcome the hard part. And that you realise what you're drawing doesn't look three-dimensional is also a big step in the right direction.

The three-dimensional form that we experience is created by only one thing - light.

So, your first decision has to be where is the light shining from. It does no harm to draw a little arrow in the margin as a reference.

In this case, we know the bridge is flat on top and dips sharply away on both sides to meet the eye sockets. If the light is shining, for example, from the top right-hand corner, the right-hand slope will be receiving light, as will the top, and most probably the point where one curves into the other will be subtly highlighted. And then the left-hand slope down to the eye will be in the shade.
CAT-nose.jpg
You can see that here. Try describing a shape to yourself (in words) and then thinking about how the light would affect what you now see. And if that doesn't bring the results you were hoping for - let's say one side was darker than you would wish for - then use the artist's best friend - reflected light - to lighten part of it again. The viewer will always accept that there's something outside the frame that is reflecting that light... so we can lie quite convincingly :D

I must mention that there's something the viewer won't forgive - because it simply doesn't look the way they expect. Eyes are circular, or ovals (circles in perspective). Your eyes have flat spots -especially on the right-hand side. And the pupils shouldn't be diamond-shaped, either.

On the other hand, I don't know how long you've been drawing, Dan. If not long, then don't get hung up on these things I mentioned - other than the lighting direction. Just draw. It's the only way to learn, and you will gradually improve... but only if you draw.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

I have not been drawing long. Like literally a few weeks.

I understand what you’re saying about the light an it’s direction on the nose. It goes with what Laurene said about the direction of the fur.

Now that you mention it, I see what your saying about my cats eyes. They are diamond shape. I did not realize I did that. Poor kitty. I’m not sure how to fix that now.

I will do what you say and keep drawing. I will keeping goin over your lessons on drawspace.
Maybe I should post those exercises and see if I improve.

Thank you,
Dan
Dan Garwood

A Plane that comes down faster then it goes up has absolutely no resale value! - Zig Zigler

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

DanielG wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:42 pm I will keep going over your lessons on drawspace.
Maybe I should post those exercises and see if I improve.
Most certainly do that, Dan. I'll be happy to help you along the way - as will everyone else.

To add to the "keep drawing" comment... There’s something you'll find happens to you that is difficult top explain.

Because we're detail-oriented (we don't have 1" wide pencils) we tend to begin to notice the detail in the world around us. Over time, you'll begin to build up a mental store of visual information. And, eventually, you'll be viewing the world as only an artist can. Well, that might be a generalisation, but it's mainly true.

For example, your cat has diamond-shaped pupils, which cats don't have. You know that now, and it will remain with you for when you draw your next cat. And at that time you might notice that a cat's pupils (unlike humans or dogs, for example) curve very slightly in from the iris. And that they aren't vertical, but lean slightly in towards each other at the top.

And, while I'm here - nursing an impending migraine :roll: - don't draw what you think you can see in a reference. Instead, study each part before you draw it and work out what it really looks like. And that takes us back to the bridge of the nose. Once you've worked out its three-dimensional shape, the direction of the hair growth, and decided on the direction of the light, you'll be drawing something that you understand, rather than what you can see.
Mike Sibley

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:16 pm Most certainly do that, Dan. I'll be happy to help you along the way - as will everyone else.

To add to the "keep drawing" comment... There’s something you'll find happens to you that is difficult top explain.

Because we're detail-oriented (we don't have 1" wide pencils) we tend to begin to notice the detail in the world around us. Over time, you'll begin to build up a mental store of visual information. And, eventually, you'll be viewing the world as only an artist can. Well, that might be a generalisation, but it's mainly true.

For example, your cat has diamond-shaped pupils, which cats don't have. You know that now, and it will remain with you for when you draw your next cat. And at that time you might notice that a cat's pupils (unlike humans or dogs, for example) curve very slightly in from the iris. And that they aren't vertical, but lean slightly in towards each other at the top.

And, while I'm here - nursing an impending migraine :roll: - don't draw what you think you can see in a reference. Instead, study each part before you draw it and work out what it really looks like. And that takes us back to the bridge of the nose. Once you've worked out its three-dimensional shape, the direction of the hair growth, and decided on the direction of the light, you'll be drawing something that you understand, rather than what you can see.
I understand what you are explaining. I think I may have bitten of more then I can chew with the cat image. I think I need to back up and go over he basics again and work back to more difficult works. I hope you agree with this Mike, it will give me a firm grasp of the basics.

Dan
Dan Garwood

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

DanielG wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:49 pm I think I need to back up and go over the basics again and work back to more difficult works. I hope you agree with this Mike, it will give me a firm grasp of the basics.
You could. You need a firm grasp of the basics before you travel onward. One way to do that is to work your way through the Basic Technique videos.

Or you could continue with the cat - but don't place unachievable expectations on yourself. You'll learn from it, and some parts might even greatly please you. Who knows ;)

In other words, treat it as an exercise, not a drawing. Then the result doesn't matter, only the learning. And if you do continue with the cat, please post the reference too, so we can help you more.
Mike Sibley

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

Here is the reference image I am currently working from.
Dan Garwood

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

Updated kitty drawing. I see many of my mistakes, just not sure how to correct them or not make them at all.
Dan Garwood

DanielG

Post by DanielG »

Laurene wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:50 pm
There’s a change in direction of hair growth on a cat’s nose. Try to zoom in on your reference, or better yet, if you have a cat get close to see what is happening there. You can’t draw it if you don’t understand it, is the usual rule.
My cat was not happy at me looking at her nose. LOL

Basically, the hair changes direction at the bridge of the nose. The top part flows into the hair on the forehead. The bottom part has such short hair that it can be depicted almost as elongated dots.
Thank you this helped a lot.

Dan
Dan Garwood