the arm

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

the arm

Post by rideum51 »

Bob Tallman20221116_07424843-001.jpg
What to do with his right arm, actually it's his left arm. this mirror image stuff has me confused as the lettering is correct but the rest is as if you were looking through his back, I think.
Anyways the arm, render it similar to the photo, make it substantially lighter, put him in long sleeves although I'd =rather not loose the watch, crop it thus losing the arms but keeping the fingers, ??
since most of the drawing is complete I will definitely scan it and do some practice stuff.

Suggestions are appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: the arm

Post by PogArtTi »

It might be not much of help my friend, but I'm thinking like you, I like the whole as it is, defo not chopping arms off, and I'm after to keep that watch in for sure.
I think the way he's holding the hands is adding a lot to the picture.
Once cut off (cropped) all we have here is face only.
Also the portrait would have to be in landscape position if you may decide to crop off the hands, as his western hat is so wide, so to fit it in, the drawing would need to be shifted from portrait to landscape mode.
It's going to be very impressive drawing for sure dear friend!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thx PogArt, I guess I see the problem that the arm is the only thing other than the backgroud that is in total shadow, shade. NOt much detail as in the rest of the portrait. Maybe try to lighten it a little and add some detail to it.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I know you mean, but I can't see it as an issue TBH.
You can simply draw it matching the other hand, taking all the details needed from the lighter side, copy them over the *darker arm as much as needed...
Or just make the darker arm as light as the dark sided chick?
The chick is also on darker side, but much lighter than that arm in comparison...
I know you can do masterpiece from what you have ;)
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I've delayed commenting on this to give myself time to think, and...

Personally, I'd represent the left-hand arm as it is.

There's a very useful line running from the front edge of the hat, through the name tag, to the angle of the watch. His nose echoes the same angle. And they combine to present an ideal route for the eye to take.

Stretching that thought a little further: His raised left-hand shoulder and dark edge of the left-hand arm complete a triangle with the previous line.

In brief: that arm isn't itself important, but it forms a solid base for everything above it. If I imagine that arm being as light as the right-hand arm, it all seems to fall apart.

And I agree with Artur: the watch and hands are important to the overall feel.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Bob Tallman20221128_20412183-001.jpg
The arm is done, so is the rest of it. I think the solution I chose is sympathetic to all your comments especially Mikes, leave it mostly alone. . Do you realize how it is to get a picture of your arm in that photo? No chance with a selfy, Had to asked Sally to help. It's a reverse, not actually. I still think the sleeve idea would really work, to put the only focus on his face. Maybe I'll try it. In looking at the preview the arm still needs some work. More to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm following ;)