Claybord experiment [No.2] DISCONTINUED.

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Claybord experiment [No.2] DISCONTINUED.

Post by PogArtTi »

It’s something there, that's driving me to carry on experimenting on Claybord.
I can't name it, but it might be all about its slick surface, or because I did love to use it for airbrushing?
One thing I see clearly - once I tried oils on it, it's hard to get back to more coarse canvas texture...

I'm taking different approach this time.
The first priming on my FIRST EXPERIMENT I did with Walnut oil ONLY.
Some artist did advice, that Walnut oil on its own may will crack, what may cause issues after time will pass...

This time I'm priming with Alkyd oils + Walnut oil.
Oil paint will bond to the Walnut oil, making it appropriate mixture , without cracking risk.

I'm priming it in grey stain this time.
I have grey wooden palette, so I think that whatever I mix onto that palette, will match closer the painting board, regarding colour match.

Previously I've used Burnt sienna, and somehow it was making me a bit confused...
My palette in grey, stained surface in B.sienna...
Do you know I mean?
So this time my wooden palette will match the stained surface much better.

I'm planning to apply 3 layers of the paint to prime the Claybord.
Let's find out, if this priming will give me different feedback in comparison to the previous one (Walnut oil only).

This is the first layer, and second applied.
Thank you for watching...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: Claybord experiment-No.2

Post by PogArtTi »

Am I watching TOO MANY HORROR MOVIES or what?!
I got sort of a scary impression after a 3rd layer of priming paint was done...
When I stood at a front of the surface to take a photo, I saw myself like in the mirror from horror movie ;)
Spooky!
Lol ;)
I didn't expect that effect at all...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

I'm having trouble distinguishing between 4A and 2A and you are talking about oils. You are either the MAN or crazy. Time will tell. Keep it up

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:42 am I'm having trouble distinguishing between 4A and 2A and you are talking about oils. You are either the MAN or crazy. Time will tell. Keep it up
Lol, I don't know whether to take your words as a compliment or not rideum51 ;)
I'm just trying enjoy my arts, the graphite drawing is not fully giving me what I want - the colour.
Pastels are too messy to me...
No acrylics, or inks or any watercolour is impressing me, but oils...
Therefore I'm experimenting with oils now, searching for preferred surface, trying to prime it the way it will work for my needs.
There's no other way around it, but try it by myself.
People giving advice, online, youtube...
It works for them, but it doesn't mean it will for me.
So I'm experimenting to find out which way is my way to follow...
Thanks for checking my posts dear friend ;)

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

👻 Lol! I love the spooky effect!!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:25 pm 👻 Lol! I love the spooky effect!!
:D :D :D

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I left this project behind while finishing up the previous experiment, which I have managed to finish yesterday.
So today I spent time on sketching the basic outlines.
My wife has wished to have a portrait of her and our niece.
As usually the reference isn't best quality, taken by mobile phone camera.
The details are alright when displayed on small screen, but when you zoom it upto A3 size...
Well.
That's the trouble.
The edges are compromised, and it's sort of flat looking photograph.
I can't do anything about it, I'll try to get it done, and it has to be painted nicely, or not dinner for 6 months ;)
I'm sketching free hand, and I'm not good at it, so I'm struggling a lot to get proportions right...
I think the outline sketch is fair enough to the reference, so I'll leave it for today...
Tomorrow I'll carry on improving on that base outlines.

● if you may wish to watch the video, you welcome ;)
-> https://youtu.be/uKcKhVFWDDQ

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm blocking in the face area, the eyes, and local features.
I hate this stage, because it's crap looking, and I'm concerned, whether I know what I'm doing, lol ;)
●short video if you like ; https://youtube.com/shorts/fVKQfC_oytg?feature=share

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Tomorrow I'm going back to work, so again no time for nothing really...
I'm happy I managed to cover nearly full face of my niece today, and messed up the background again ;)
I don't like waste the paint, so I'm spreading it around instead, hoping to achieve interesting results ;)
● YouTube video if you like ; https://youtu.be/9yvcSdy1BNk

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I know nothing at all about oil painting and how to proceed. I find it fascinating to see it develop step by step like this. I also found your youtubes fascinating , especially the way you’re constantly comparing proportions against your reference.

I also draw freehand when I can, and I use relative proportions too but I can lay my hand directly on the reference surface since I draw on a table top. It seems much more difficult to me, for some reason, to do all of this vertically.