Monterey Cypress

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Monterey Cypress

Post by LindasPencils »

This is a work created from a series of photos I took while visiting family in California pre-Covid, around 3 years ago. It is not any one specific tree, but an impression/creation of a generic cypress.
I had a lot of fun playing with the textures in the trunk and the colours of the foliage. I also enjoyed abstracting the background and foreground into linear effects which tend to focus attention on the tree I think.
Please forgive the poor quality of this image, I haven't had the chance to scan or photograph it properly yet so it is just a phone shot cleaned up.
Hope you enjoy, and any comments are very welcome.
monterey cypress_edited.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Monterey Cypress

Post by PogArtTi »

All my photos I'm sharing are taken with my mobile phone, so don't feel you did something worse, it looks alright, nobody would notice difference, until you upload two photos, to let us compare side to side...
I'm big fan of Bonsai tree, this tree, it's shape, curved trunk - is a perfect example of the idea behind Bonsai tree school.
Very interesting, thanks for share dear Linda.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

JayS

Post by JayS »

This wind blown tree almost looks human.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Very futuristic and very, at the same time, the time o f Mees, Le Corbusier.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I absolutely love this! I can't begin to describe why I admire it so much... but...

The sinuous trunk. The geometric rocks that contrast so well with the tree. The clouds and left-lean of the tree that perfectly balance the right-growing foliage...

I'm sure there's more. But I simply love everything about it.

Oh, apologies for the late comment. Working on the next video. Recording voice-over tomorrow. Should be available next week...

...if I can tear myself away from this tree.......... :oops: :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you Mike, Rideum and Pog - sorry for the delay in reply but I have been in the midst of working up drawings for April exhibition and experimenting with small sculptures!