Haekea laurina

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Haekea laurina

Post by LindasPencils »

From the same workshop as the Coastal Banksia, this is a 'dry' drawing of a Haekea Laurina cone and leaves. It was created with Staedtler Mars Techno clutch pencils in 2H, HB, 2B and 4B with some F tonal blends over the top. I used a Lana Hotpress 300gsm paper. This was drawn from a life object.
I had actually begun this work on a Fabriano Artistico Hotpress 300gsm, but for some reason the ream of this paper I purchases has a slight gridded tooth to it. I guess it is the mesh screen and they didn't press it enough to smooth out the surface. It probably isn't enough to worry most people, but it annoyed the heck out of me to see the mesh pattern appear, so I restarted the work after around 3 hours into it and switched to the Lana.
Hakea laurina.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Re: Haekea laurina

Post by PogArtTi »

I did fewer unfortunate attempts myself not too far ago, whether in pastels or oils...
I didn't finish once started work, being upset with some things that I didn't appreciate.
I do understand your feeling Linda.
It is again nicely drawn study, beautiful detail, shading, and form...
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

JayS

Post by JayS »

Beautifully done! Wondering about two things? First, what size is this drawing? Second, When looking at the shading I was wondering about the direction of the light? Specifically, the shading on some of the leaves could suggest that the light is from the right side of the drawing and the twig and the seeds show light coming from the left side of the drawing. On the leaves you did a great job of using shading to separate the leaves. And you shading of the stock shows the light source from the left side of the drawing, Leaves are tricky because the shape of the leaf changes how the light plays on it. What do I need to do to see the light as you do? Any suggestions?

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Good switch. That texture would drive me nuts, too!

And... where to begin... there's so much I admire in this.

It has superb contrast, so my eye goes where it was intended to, and then moves on.

The wide contrast accounts for the degrees of depth, too.

And the level of detail, whether implied or present, simply brings it to life. Conversely, the leaves are there as supporting actors that don't vie for front-of-stage attention.

Beautiful.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I love botanical studies and this one is just so lovely and delicate!