Claybord experiment [No.1] FINISHED.

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: Claybord experiment.

Post by PogArtTi »

The blue-ish background really was annoying my eyes since beginning.
Why I started with blue?
Well...
The truth is - I had no clue what background I like to have...
And yet, I was struggling to paint over the large area of free space...
So the easy solution was to get a wider flat brush, and cover it up.
I did achieve sort of interesting texture, a bit too coarse to my taste, but at least I managed to cover the background up - job done.
But blue colour nowhere was close to compliment my painting, to support the atmosphere of my pose...

I've made sort of attempt yesterday to change it, to make some light source...
Poor attempt it was (see the photo).
It was nonsense, to paint it like this, but I knew I need to get rid of that blue-ish background...

Today I gave it another go.
Now the whole background is much more adorable, is complimenting the portraiture, and I've created the light source as sort of steam...
Yes.
I like it now.

Interesting is - of how camera did change the main subject's colour(me 😁) in relation to the new background!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi Artur. I’m sorry I haven’t been around much lately and I missed several updates. I quite like the textured background you’ve achieved here. It should accentuate the smoothness of the hat and skin. Do you have an update for us?

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:19 pm Hi Artur. I’m sorry I haven’t been around much lately and I missed several updates.
Don't worry dear friend, I'm the same...
Busy with other things (at work usually)...
I quite like the textured background you’ve achieved here. It should accentuate the smoothness of the hat and skin.
I'm hoping so...
I don't fancy the texture too much, but at some point it is something I've never tried ever before...
So at this point - it's interesting...

Updates
Thank you for asking dear friend.
Unfortunately not.
Not yet.

Two weeks ago I did start 4 days p/week scheme,
It's very new to my company, and it's been introduced just from October..., it's making my working shifts longer, as I need to cover 37h per week within 4 days.
The benefit?
•I will have an extra day off every week.
•I will have of 6 days off every month.

The daily shifts are a bit longer now, but I wasn't painting after my shorter shifts before...
So I was losing 5 days (not painting), and every month I was working for 11 days, without any day off within...
That was the scheme.
So each month I used to have a break for nearly two weeks regarding my painting...

Therefore, after consideration I decided to apply for 4 days p/week rota.
Now, I will not work longer than 7 days, without a day off...
It's nearly half of the previous scheme! (11 days).
And every time after these 7 (or 6 days sometime), I will have immediately 6 days off...
It's like having a week of holiday each month.
More resting time, more time for painting, and doing things around the house...

This is my second week of working those longer shifts.
Therefore there's no any further update to this painting Laurene.
Yesterday was my first day off of these 6 days in total.
I did nothing to be honest!
I was chilling out, happy to being on this new pattern...
Pleased so badly to have it ;)

Today I'm about to enjoy painting, fully rested, fresh ... so expect updates soon ;)

● Are you well Laurene?
What you're up to?
I don't remember last time you've drawn anything ;)
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’m glad you were able to get your work schedule sorted. It sounds gruelling!

I’m fine, thanks for asking. I haven’t been drawing at all, at least not on paper. I sketch constantly on my Ipad, in Procreate, and I’m playing around with more of a children’s illustration style. Nothing I’m prepared to show though. Just doing it for myself really.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Oh , I just saw that the background in the last update is more of an earthy green. Very nice!! I much prefer it to the blue background.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:28 pm Oh , I just saw that the background in the last update is more of an earthy green.
I was confused of how to make background for this one, but I didn't like the blue textured one, and it wasn't matching the painting at all...
It was just made to block in the whole area to be honest.
So while working on my portraiture, I have been considering other options of how to make it to suit the mood of the portrait ;)
I'm happy you like it.

It's good to know you're well Laurene, and that you just having relaxing time on your iPad.
Basically I'm painting for my own enjoyment too ;)

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

●The first claybord experiment is FINISHED.
-Ampersand Claybord A3 size.
- Winsor&Newton Alkyd oils / for base layers, underpainting.
- Michael Harding oils / everything else.

Please don't put too much attention to it, just yet.
The oils did sink, the shadows, colours and value is slightly off at the moment.

I will varnish it after a week time, with Retouching Varnish - it should bring the whole painting back to glossy, rich stage, as oils should look, so the total effect is suppose to be improved, not as dull ...

This is just freshly taken photo of the finished piece.
I hope you understand I was hurry up to share my efforts straight away ;)

I will update it once is varnished, and better looking (I hope!).

Thank you for following, and keen support throughout.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Claybord experiment - FINISHED.

Post by Laurene »

Seriously Artur, this amazes me. The subtle shadows on the skin, the leather texture on the hat, the softness of the background….all spot on! I can’t say enough. What did Magda say when she saw it?

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:09 pm Seriously Artur, this amazes me.
Thank you Laurene very much!
When replying earlier to your comment, I did promise update coming, but didn't know it might be the FINAL update instead...
When I looked at it, I had a feeling, there's not much left...
The beard...
I started it, and soon after I realised I'm happy with the effect...
Yes, I could have spent much more time yet, just digging into subtle detail, but I didn't want to go this far to be honest...
It's been an experimental painting on claybord, at this point I'm pretty happy of achievement.
I'd like to move on, and start new painting instead, with the experience of this one in my mind.
The subtle shadows on the skin, the leather texture on the hat, the softness of the background….all spot on!
Thank you for looking for the details Laurene.
Yes, I was trying to make it as good as I can at the moment...
There's lots to be improved, but I've been worry not to damage the effect I've achieved, by incidentally changing values or else...
The Western hat is made with different shade of black, than the black hood...
The nearly black skin dark shadows are also not purely black, but warmer ...
I did try to mix blacks differently, to make them black, but with different appearance...
Just learning while working on it...
I hope I can improve my skills based on what I've learnt so far...
Thank you so much ;)
What did Magda say when she saw it?
Wow, thanks for asking!
Well...
She loves it!
She did ask me if I'm considering to frame it/hang it up ;)
I went (ironically) - is it worth it?
;)
She went - YES!, it's MINE!, and I'd love to have it on the wall ;)
Well - this is real compliment from Magda, as she's worst critic of my artwork ;)
She was looking at it, and thinking aloud following your words Laurene ...
;)
She was saying - how come the skin looks so real, the wrinkles on your face, skin folds, shadow ...
How did you do it ...
;)
Well...
At this point, hearing such compliment, I'm questioning myself if it's really my work, nobody's else?
;)

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I vote with Magda. You have to frame it!