Claybord experiment [No.1] FINISHED.

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Claybord experiment [No.1] FINISHED.

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi dear friends.
It wasn't obvious at first, that I won't like canvas texture?
But too much time spent on smooth paper lately, and I just gave up on canvas.
Therefore I did suspend latest portrait of my wife and niece, to experiment on Claybord.
If things go right, then I'll come back to start my wife portrait again.
Till then, I need to experiment a bit, whether Claybord will suit me or not at all.

At the moment I did lay down three thin layers of Walnut Alkyd oil, rubbing it gently around the surface.
When it's touch dry, I will stain the surface with Alkyd oil paint to seal the pores of the Claybord even more, so it won't absorb that much of an oil from the paint then.
Let see where this experiment will lead me, lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: Claybord experiment.

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi there, I hope you are very well, and enjoying the evening as much as I did 😉
I wasn't sure what to paint, but after digging into my old photos, I've found the one, that attracted me most.
It's a photo of myself, taken few years ago.
This is an experimental painting, so if I make funny caricature - better it's me, nobody else 😉

The surface is primed with 3 thin layers of Walnut Alkyd oil, and Burnt Sienna (Alkyd as well) as a final layer.
I've done a free hand sketching moments ago to outline the subject (me 😅).
Let it dry now ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Just making very first brush strokes to see how it goes.
The surface is velvety slick, so the bristle hair is leaving stroke marks.
At this early stage, I can't tell whether I like it or not.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

You’re off to a great start! I love it when you include us in your new art adventures.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I must admit that the first thing I noticed about your previous attempt was the coarseness of the canvas. Not my place to comment, but I'd get mad at it very quickly :D

And now a portrait of YOU! The likeness looks good to me. Excellent even. And that's before you begin to refine it.

Just saw your update as I was posting this. Still looking good. And maybe those brush strokes will fade into successive layers? Or maybe they'll just add a bit of dynamism.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:55 pm You’re off to a great start! I love it when you include us in your new art adventures.
Thank you a lot, I'm happy you like my efforts of finding the best way to achieve what I want 😊

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:29 pm I must admit that the first thing I noticed about your previous attempt was the coarseness of the canvas. Not my place to comment, but I'd get mad at it very quickly :D
Yes, lol - I just did get frustrated, lol 😅
What a terrible texture was there!
Believe me or not, it was *Fredrix(very reputable!)Linen "smooth" - one of the best quality canvas board you can get, lol...
And now a portrait of YOU! The likeness looks good to me. Excellent even. And that's before you begin to refine it.
Thanks a lot !!!
And maybe those brush strokes will fade into successive layers? Or maybe they'll just add a bit of dynamism.
Interesting conclusion Mike, because I did receive very similar comment at other forum, where some artist just mention, that thanks to those brush strokes I've achieved some appreciate texture...

I think I seek visible brush strokes as an issue, because I compare it to graphite drawings, where I was doing my best to make everything smooth and blended...
It seems my brain didn't switch to oils just yet, lol.
Thank you Mike 😊

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

The blacks getting flatter as they dry, so to don't interrupt it, I moved on the background today.
At first I was concerned with all these brush strokes again, but I did carry on filling up the area.
Black clothes against light background may will improve value judgement...
Thank you.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I did move onto second layer of background.
I just like to see how it goes, what the look/texture will be alike at next stages.
I'm improving the light source, make it as a main stream of light hitting the front of my face.
So I'm darkening the far away corners, and keep improving the light...

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Latest update my friends.
You will miss yesterday's one, as my IP address in here was banned from posting.
Let see if I'm allowed today?
[Bravo-I can post today!]
So all you missed is the background change...

It's my second day off, so I have enough time to focus onto the painting.
I decided to practice onto western hat today.
I need to check if I can blend colours smoothly, before I move on skin tones, where smoothness is very important to me.
This is basically BE or NOT to BE for the Claybord.
I do appreciate now noticeable brush strokes regarding background, it's giving interesting look to the whole piece.
I won't like it on the skin, though.
I've started with the western hat then, to see if I can make smooth blending...
The answer is YES, as you can see.
It's all I'm asking for.