Great Grey Owl - WIP

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Re: Great Grey Owl - WIP

Post by LindasPencils »

Background? Personally, I wouldn't add one. I'm not sure if this helps but I have a personal rule: Only include a background if it adds something to the story.
A good rule! My personal rule is 'If you didn't plan it from the start, don't add it at the end - because you never know how it will work out.'

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Mike wrote:
... the owl doesn't really "belong" to the branch.
Yes, I see what you mean Mike. I'll bring it into paintshop pro and try adjusting shadows there before touching the original.

Mike wrote:
I'm quite annoyed with myself for feeling I should mention that...
Please never think that! I know from experience that the benefit of a forum like this, versus something like facebook, is that any artist can benefit from the eyes of other artists. I've missed this since you had to close the old forum. There is no better way to learn in my opinion. We stare at our work for so long sometimes that we lose the big picture. And I wasn't 100% certain of my final work here. The proof is that I haven't sprayed it yet.

Linda wrote:
My personal rule is 'If you didn't plan it from the start, don't add it at the end - because you never know how it will work out.
Yes, I agree completely Linda. In this case, I did plan on a misty background, fading out gently. I worked it all out before I started the drawing and I still think it would serve 2 purposes. It would create a mood to suggest the time of day when these owls usually hunt, sunrise and sunset in low light. I had the mist also going in front of the stump and the owl, blending the 2 a little more. I may have given in to drawing fatigue on this piece. I'll take a little break and decide if I really want to finish it the way I envisioned it or not.

Thank you both for your feedback! It's always helpful and very much appreciated!

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Hi Laurene, this is developing wonderfully. the subtle detail is amazing and yes the eye is definitely the focus. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thank you rideum. Here's the final drawing now.

Mike & Linda, I had to put this aside for a couple of weeks, but today I finished it the way I originally envisioned it. I thought a long time about putting in that moody background, but I finally decided to bite the bullet and finish it the way I intended it to look. I also tried to push the shadows on the right side of the owl so it would sit better on the stump. You were absolutely right about that Mike.

Sprayed it, and it's time to move on now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

YES.
just came here to say that.
YES!
Love the background, good choice. In fact I'd say it lifts the drawing from a 'very good' drawing to a 'GREAT' drawing.👍

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thank you so much Linda. That means a lot to me!!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

NO!
Just came here to say that.
NO!

No... I can't believe it's that good... but IT IS! ;)

There's something I can't put my finger on. But the addition of the background has given it a delightfully Victorian feeling - like and old and favoured etching. With sweeping sculptural curves and a moody sky. Both majestic and romantic.

I love it!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

:lol: When I saw that NO, my heart skipped a beat.... no several beats!! :lol:

Thank you so much Mike! I admit flinging all that graphite powder on a finished drawing took a bit of courage. I planned it all out in Paintshop Pro first though so I had a road map to guide me.

Thanks again Mike & Linda for following along with me!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:05 pm :lol: When I saw that NO, my heart skipped a beat.... no several beats!! :lol:
I tried to resist the temptation. Really! I did! But, it seems, I didn't try hard enough, and the devil in me won the battle :oops: :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

and the devil in me won the battle
hmmm. No? and Peacocks? Are you going cabin crazy with this lock down? Checked those meds lately? :mrgreen:

(keep it up. we like) :twisted: