Great Grey Owl - WIP

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Laurene

Re: Great Grey Owl - WIP

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Linda!

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

How is this coming along, Laurene? Hope you haven't been bogged down by the Christmas rush!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi Linda. Yes, the last couple of weeks were quite hectic at work but I'm going to have time to work on this over the holidays. I'll post an update as soon as I have enough of that dead tree stump done. :)

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Merry Christmas!🎄🤶🎅

and Happy New Year, Laurene.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

A Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you too Linda!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Working on the dead tree stump now. There won't really be much bark texture here. Rather, the grain of the wood will hopefully guide the eye back to the owl's face.

I thought of adding a feather in the lower right but seeing on the screen now, I think that the one I sketched in is out of scale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

This is really coming to life now! Wonderfully woody wood :) and I like the way you've used it to define the edges of the owl.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

How much detail are you planning in that stump? I just think you need to be careful you don't overcomplicate it and distract from the detail in the owl.... but I am sure you have already considered that.

Re the feather in the lower right. This could work, if it was appreciably larger than life, with a shadow, so it looked like it was a real feather dropped onto the work - sort of a trop loeil.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Mike and Linda!

Linda, I do intend to have much of the stump in dark shadow. There's a method I've used in the past: draw in the detail, and then very very lightly go over the area with graphite powder on a folded tissue or bit of soft T-shirt cotton. I rub most of the graphite powder off of the tissue and then apply using light pressure (kind of like a watercolour wash over an ink drawing). That way, the underlying detail still comes through in the shadow areas, and if I want it darker, I can repeat. I'm hoping it works here.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

That's not a technique I've ever tried. And you're definitely braver than me :) But I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net