Great Grey Owl - WIP

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Laurene

Re: Great Grey Owl - WIP

Post by Laurene »

LindasPencils wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:14 pm Hi my old friend Laurene! This is developing nicely - and aren't those striations in the feathers an absolute bitch? But you are handling them very well!
Hi Linda! It's been a long time! I'm so happy to be in touch with you again!

Oh, and about those striations, YES, they are!!!! I wonder what it says about me that I love drawing them?! :lol:

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I have to laugh Laurene - one of the many 'found' objects I bring to my workshops are feathers for students to draw. Great practice items. But it is inevitable that someone chooses the owl feathers, and oh my! they don't realise what they are in for! :shock: :lol:

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I can imagine! They're can be pretty complex, but they're things of beauty! This is a study of a Great Horned owl feather that I did on Strathmore toned paper. I used pan pastels and graphite pencil because they're both pretty forgivable. Pan pastel can hide a multitude of sins!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Here's another quick update. Slowly making progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

That feather is divine! I haven't tried pan pastels yet, only soft and pencil versions. Progress on the owl is progressing well!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Linda! Here's another quick update. The wing feathers need a lot more work and there will be part of a foot and talon showing on the right. These owls have very sensitive hearing and often sit still and hunt by sound. Here, he's actually looking directly behind him, as though he just heard the sound of prey.

I'm drawing the markings on the back and breast feathers by putting them in lightly with a 2B pencil and then going over the area with either a 2E or a HB pencil depending on how light in colour the area is. I'm sorry the scan is so blurry. I think that happens when I reduce the resolution to 72 dpi.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I've gone over most of the owl now, but I'll fiddle with it more once the stump is done. I'll also try to fix those talons that don't look right at all. I think that once I get some shadows under them they might sit a little better.

I always struggle with composition. The idea here is to suggest that the owl's gaze is locked on a prey animal that it just heard off to the left. I'm also trying to twist the stump to the left to mimic the owls pose, and to position the broken branch to follow the owl's gaze.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:50 pm I always struggle with composition.
Well, you're not struggling with this one :D I think this is going to work spectacularly well!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Mike! I must have gone through a dozen or more iterations before settling on this one. :roll:

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Great comp. Its perfect.