A first for me!

Your latest work is in print? You have an upcoming workshop? Your cat's had kittens... Tell us YOUR NEWS!
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

A first for me!

Post by Mike Sibley »

Well, I see my work on TV sometimes - hanging on people's walls while they're being interviewed… but not onstage, so this is a first for me! :D

I received a request from Cami Buster, working for The Parish Players:
"I am the set designer-builder for a local production of "The Play That Goes Wrong" in Thetford, Vermont, USA, and we need a portrait of a spaniel to go over the fireplace and be the "portrait of the father" in the play."
1-stage-set.jpg
Permission granted in return for a mention and link in the program. And...

"...it worked a treat! From falling off the wall to unexpectedly staying up, to startling the inspector questioning the deceased's brother, (she was expecting a painting of their father) our good boy performed well."

42 years in the business and... the pinnacle is falling off the wall!
2-performance.jpg
"And here is the photo as Tom Colleymore and Cecil Haversham struggle to keep everything hanging on the wall as Mr Colleymore's accountant desires to speak to him at 11:30 at night..."

Cami told me, "What you can see in the photo - all ends up collapsing at the end of the show. I have no photos of that, since I was backstage at the time. Also, on the other side of the stage is a second floor platform, that collapses with actors on (3 times - each time lower, to about 45°!) and the door in the photo is slammed often and then suddenly falls off in the actor's hands. I did have to do some serious repair on it as I was striking the set."

It played to packed houses for eight performances, invoking comments such as:
"By far, the best farce I have ever seen. Brilliant acting and fantastic set design and function."
and
"Unbelievably funny. Truly the funniest play I have ever seen. So many surprises!"

The Parish Players
The Parish Players on Facebook
The original production - brainchild of the UK's Mischief Theatre Company: The Play That Goes Wrong
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Re: A first for me!

Post by Laurene »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Who else can claim something like this on their resume!!
42 years in the business and... the pinnacle is falling off the wall!
:D

On a serious note though, congratulations Mike! It’s quite an honour to be the centrepiece of a play !

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I managed to find the play online. Not the Vermont version, but one in Greenville, Mississippi.

I haven't time to watch it all in one go (I'm editing parts of the next video today) but in 10-minute chunks, which is the most my laughter muscles can stand! :D :o

The Play That Goes Wrong

It's an amateur recording, but watchable.
Mike Sibley

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Justy saw this, I don't know if it is congradulations or what but an honor.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:15 am Just saw this, I don't know if it is congratulations or what but an honor.
It is. ;) But it's weird where my work turns up from time to time - not counting the fraudulent stuff. From stage props to bottles of dog shampoo in Japan. And decoration on RVs to shopping bags.
Mike Sibley